Saturday, October 24, 2009

Quick and easy trim upgrade

As you can see I was inspired to just get to work yesterday and upgrade the trim in our powder room , it seemed to be a good way to spend my afternoon .


I actually doubled the depth of the trim without ripping anything out at all . I just simply added to what I already had.
Around the casing I could not add a back band because the trim was too shallow , so I added a simple piece of square edge stock pine finger jointed moulding which beefed up the casing , I would have loved to had all new but there was no room on the right side of the jam for anything more substantial so the added trim was my solution.


I added a perimeter of trim two inches below the existing crown and painted it all with a few coats of fresh white.



I added bead board to only the one wall where the ledge protrudes , I still plan on adding a sill.




I sanded the bead board to smooth out its rough texture , but ended up liking the look so much I left it that way.













I installed the beadboard about three inches above the baseboard and covered the raw bottom edges with this chair rail moulding , it fakes the look of a deeper baseboard.
This was a cheap and easy update for our powder room , a great choice rather than ripping out all the existing trim , instead I worked with it , warning , working in such a small space is annoying but worth it .

19 comments:

cousin Deb said...

The trim looks lovely, what a great job and a great idea!

Rachelle said...

Sooo much better! I love it- such a quick fix!

Rachelle

Cottage on the Hill said...

Thanks for the idea! Love the extended base board look. I especially love the fact that you didn't have to remove any trim to get that look. Great Job.

Mommy Pastrami said...

It looks great! Thanks for sharing!!

Have you done anything with picture frame molding? I am thinking of putting some in my second floor hallway.

TRICIA @ The Zoo said...

the trim looks fantastic! What a great inexpensive upgrade.

XO*Tricia

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Wow Chris, you finished so soon. Just as I plan, I love how you saved the builder trim and added to it to beef it up. The trim, the colours, the black accents, I love it all.

Cathy said...

Love it all...!!

{{Hugs}}

Cathy

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

I can't believe how much you do!! I love the bead board and trim , so much better(; I also wanted to tell you how beautiful the bedroom looks, I looked for the paint color you used for above the molding but I couldn't find it?? Would you mind sharing the color with me again? Great job and your home is really coming together, your friends and family must love gathering at your home and just look around in amazement at your accomplishments.
Hugs~Kelly

Sharon said...

What a great, inexpensive and non time consuming update.

hqm said...

brilliant!

MARY said...

So awesome !! I like the baseboard "add to", so much easier than ripping out. I bet that idea would work great for doors and windows too ! You rock !

Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments said...

I looks simply fabulous!

Cote de Texas said...

all in a days work. for you! I wish I was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
looks perfect.

Annie@A View On Design said...

wowo, wait a minute, so for the cornice, you simply added a bead below your existing cornice, thereby making it look bigger??? that is exactly what I need to do in my new home. We are currently building (nearly finished - see my build blog) and the builder wanted another $1,500 to upgrade (only in the living areas) the size of the cornice, which was effectively costing them only another $200. Because the labour and glue was the same amount etc... I said "stuff that" I was being ripped off. But there is no doubt in my mind that I can do what you have done - YOU ARE A MIRACLE !!! Thanks so much - life saver!!!

Cindy said...

Looks awesome! I love 'fool the eye' tricks that save money but still look great. Love that powder room, girl:o)

Shannon said...

Question??- can I get away with this trick if my walls are textured or does that give it away?

BTW I just found your blog, don't even know how & I LOVE it. We are beach cottage style too and getting ready to move so I am looking for ideas for our new place. I love what you are doing to your house, so many great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Lovely Little Nest said...

Looks beautiful! Great job :)

Michelle said...

Very cool- I wish I was more motivated to work around our house. Can I make a suggestion- can you open your comments up to accommodate bloggers who are not on blogger or blogspot. You just go to the comment settings and change it to name and url as well. That way other bloggers who have self hosted blogs can comment on your site as well. I wouldn't have been able to comment but I have an old blogger account.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Amazing! This has been on my to-do list for my living and dining room crown molding forever! You've definitely solidified my plans. Wonderful job.