Sunday, April 19, 2009

I have coastal style shingles too

I am so thrilled , it took two days and less than $70.00 {cost of three bundles of wood and a large can of stain that will also be used for our deck when the weather is right} for me to add my favorite feature to my house , and I have left over shingles too , those will clad the chimney in the back of the house next , maybe after all the cuts on my hands heal and we have another nice weekend.
This is an easy project , however I did have these recesses which were perfect for this kind of treatment . I will at some point remove the siding from above the door roof line and add either board and batten in white or more shingles. The middle peak could use some white wood work around the window , actually I would like to change that to a shutter like the one I have inside .
I want to make my house a one of a kind .

The stain colour is Light Lead by Behr. I think I will lighten the garage door this season , as well as the front door , something more beachy for sure. Not sure if I will add back the window box or perhaps I will relocate it to the railing at the entry , that area gets great sun .
I must share a little story , while cutting shingles with my power saw , I was approached by a little boy who is about 5 , he asked me " are you supposed to be using that ? is that your dad's? "
he seemed very confused when I said that it was mine , and that I like tools , he said " my mom doesn't like tools " , I know I am a different kinda girl , we are all different right?
I like doing these projects , they are my ideas and if I can do them then I will , for as long as I can .
I love my little house even more than before .


22 comments:

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

YOU DID SUCH A GOOD JOB! WHAT A CUTE STORY ABOUT THE LITTLE BOY TOO, I KNOW YOU PROBABLY WERENT LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON THE FLOWER BOX BUT I THOUGHT IT LOOKED SO PRETTY WHEN I SAW THE BEFORE PIC(;
HUGS~KELLY

Jersey Girl in DC said...

WOW! It looks amazing! I love the gray shingles too!

julie said...

You amaze me! Is there anything you cant do! They look perfect!

Miss JC said...

Oooh how pretty! I LOVE this. I can't wait to get started on my house..

S said...

Really adds a nice touch! Looks fantastic!

Emily said...

Wow! You amaze me!

Cote de Texas said...

it looks amazing. ok - I have a design comment - if you put the shingles above the door - don't you have to do that whole facade from the top down to around the windows - not understanding how you can just add shingles in one place on the gable = aesthetically i mean. I do think the shingles would look so great all the way around that gable = like next to the windows.

you are amazing. i am in awe of your talents. unreal. it looks so professional - like it's always been there!!!

Hella said...

no question!
you are GOOD!
love ya!
mom

Restyled Home said...

You're my hero..honestly!!
I so wish we were neighbours...

Linda

Love Where You Live said...

What a great idea!! I'm so impressed. You certainly possess vision!
Thanks for sharing the idea. cheers, -susan

Joanna said...

It looks wonderful! What a big difference such a small addition makes!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Love the story of what the little boy said! I have had my own tool box and power tools for years. My father made sure my sister and I knew how to use tools and fix things. I have no intention of waiting for my husband to get to a job-I'll do it myself!

Anonymous said...

You continue to inspire me...you seem to have endless creativity, passion, vision and energy! I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.
Cathy

Cindy said...

I check your blog on a regular basis and am never disappointed! The shingle project is beautiful! Just the right touch.

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

I really like the flower box too, but I wonder if that (besides Canadian winters) added to the water logged mdf problem. Watering the flowers, drainage,snow or ice build up behind, melting...wet mdf beadboard. Just wondering. If that was the case, then maybe relocating the window box to where there is aluminum backing the flower box, might be a solution to keeping your shingles longer. Looking very beachy :)Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Oh, and thanks for educating that little future man. Women have power tools too:)

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Looks awesome:)

MilkMaid said...

Nice job...and now my mind is ticking over here!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Looks soooo good...what did it look like before ??

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Oh MY! You did such a great job!! And so inexpensive. Brava! :-)

Queen B. said...

waaaaaaaaay cool !