Monday, June 30, 2008

Bathroom makeover nearing completion


Here is the before :

It was pink and little girly.

This is the before of the mirror , just regular unframed mirror.
I have finished the glass wall on the opposite wall of the other tile wall, that was quite a long process, I just kind of ignored its unfinished condition , when I did go to get it done the tile color had been altered , but I did find the matching tiles eventually, and it is now done and is so pretty and nice to touch.
I decided to add a nice heavy frame with MDF we found while cleaning out the garage , I just need to paint it .


However I will still need to paint a little bit of pink hiding between the door frame and bathtub tiles ,and touch up any flaws.


It has turned out really well, it is a higher end bathroom finish but with a cottagey feel , it would use a new faucet now . Icing on the cake.

So what did I do ,
-took out old trim and replaced with thicker pretty trim and baseboards
-applied tile to opposing walls
-installed junction box which was non existent due to ugly make up strip lighting that was there
-installed Restoration Hardware light that was a gift from MIL at our old house which we brought here, it is so pretty
-painted cupboards
-changed knobs
-cut large hole in the wall to build a recessed storage area
-painted walls
-built frame for mirror
-moved plug outlet out to re install over the tile
I think that is it , I took my time learned a lot about tiling , not as hard as it used to be ,did a bit here and there and now it is a lovely bathroom that I would be happy to have any guest in my home use , young or old.

10 comments:

Wanderluster said...

I love what you've done with the tile work and how you've made it different on the two walls. It looks great!

Mrs. Limestone said...

Gorgeous!! Love how the whole wall being tiled adds some sleek style without being over the top. And naturally the color you selected is beautiful.

Heidi said...

the mirror looks great! did you screw the mdf right to the wall??

i'm going to start the recessed paneling in the dining room soon. we scouted out the local Kent building supplies here (Irving) that's 2 minutes away from us and they have everything i'll need!

i'm cutting mdf baseboard trim for our kitchen/family room. it's my first time with mdf and i love how clean it cuts!

meg duerksen said...

so beautiful.
you are so good at this!

Suzanne said...

What a terrific transformation. Can you come to my house next?

I've got 4,000 lbs. of porcelain tile stacked in my garage waiting for me to get up the nerve to start tiling the basement floor. I've read everything available but I'm scared.

You give me hope.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

***LARISSA*** said...

wow, this is beautiful! your blog is such an inspiration for me to get off my duff & get creative again... i can't wait to see what you do next!

Quincy said...

Please tell us where you found that tile! That's just what I'd like for our bathroom flooring.

Beautiful job you did. I've been toying with doing a similar deal with our flat mirror. This is just the inspiration I need!

chriskauf said...

quincy
the tile is all from home depot regular stocked stuff.

Quincy said...

Whoo hoo! I was hoping it was going to be from one of the big box stores and not a fancy online place.

Thanks very much! Our bathroom walls are painted a very similar color and this flooring is exactly what I had in mind.

Southern Sugar said...

love the bathroom. i'm new. love your blog. i want to replace all the lighting in all my bathrooms and either take down the basic mirrors or just add trim to the existing ones. could you please email me and tell me which you would do. i'm also concerned about what the wall will look like under those awful makeup lights. will there be need for repair i wonder. i'd really like to just put in trim around the mirrors. but the edges are all in corners. i don't know if that matters. i don't have a husband who is at all enthusiastic about this stuff and he hates to spend the money, so i'm pretty much on my own. thanks for taking the time to read this. your home is beautiful! preppycupcake@yahoo.com