Saturday, August 9, 2008

I got my dream mudroom

I packed up my tools and my kiddies and headed out on a two day mudroom reno.


I have long wanted a mudroom laundry on my main floor ,neither of the two house I had offered such a feature, I am still someday going to get one for sure, Thursday was that day , or so I pretended , my sister in law Tracy just bought with her man Andrew a lovely older home , a rambling bungalow full of character including a gated driveway , and private backyard 6 bedrooms ,two fireplaces you get it it is quite a home to have, and it came with a mudroom /laundry room , yippee of course , well this mudroom although exciting to have came with a few challenges like 5 doors , little of no real coat storage , no where to sit and put on shoes , or store them nowhere for school back packs and purses , never mind mitts , hats , etc that we will soon be in need of. What do you do , maybe move the washer dryer into the basement ?? and find storage there , no Andrew would not have it , don't blame him , so if you have me as sister in law who walked through the room and virtually got a picture of how it was to be in my head , and as I was eager to flex my decorator muscles , and happy to execute the design in my head , I was allowed to do what I thought needed to be done. Here is what we had this is a door to the garage , and one to side yard and behind that wall to basement stairs, and one peg for storage , that's right 3 doors over here.

This one is a little fuzzy , it also has a step up and a dutch door, that is shutter style, such a nice feature , and one more peg board, that was it for storage. Two more doors on this side.
It has high ceilings and plenty of potential.




Here is the after , oh my isn't it lovely , so much room for coats and bags. The hooks are from Ikea they came in a two pack , the best deal going on hooks. The brackets were also from Ikea and a great price as well. The bead board is primed MDF tongue and groove , from Home Depot.

Everything lined up so pretty , 20 hooks were added. I asked if Tracy would like a chalkboard , either you like them or hate them , turns out men hate them , ladies like them? what a great spot for notes reminders , lists, really they are both functional and cute. The clock is perfect for seeing how much time you have to get to all your many events and work and school.

There is a great long storage bench there below the main wall that has 8 cubbies for shoes and is a spot to sit and put on shoes or put laundry baskets while folding . My gift was a series of three cute striped cotton rugs a blue basket for tidbits and a new bamboo window blind in brown.

Look how cute the little white garbage can is .
I love it m I would be happy to have this functional entrance in my home . I hope it works well for them?

I originally suggested the walls be a deep brown , which I still think would look great with all the white, but the soft creamy yellow if great too, if it was room it would a grey blue to compliment the peachy in the tiles , since I may have a few readers of this post why don't you all weigh in , deep dark brown , blue , or leave it yellow and give the kids a break from all their reno's.

Thanks bunches , I hope you enjoyed.



32 comments:

Jen M said...

It looks fabulous, what a wonderful transformation! Great job. I vote to keep it yellow or maybe the blue.

Dianne said...

Go for the brown!!!! Great job.

T said...

THANKS CHRIS!! I love my new mudroom! I can't wait to hear the verdict on the paint colour... you know I love blue, but obviously yellow is the easiest :)
I notice that you didn't put any pictures of yourself on there doing all of the hard work... hmmmm. Can I post those on here?
Love you lots - thanks so much!
Tracy

Wanderluster said...

Another AWESOME transformation! And you did it for someone else too - how nice! I vote for the brown I think it would make the room just pop - but the yellow is nice too.

Kristy said...

You are amazing! The mud room is perfect! If, they were to paint it, I think the brown would look fabulous. Love your blog!

J said...

I love the room but mostly I love the person who so generously gave of her time and talent. Great job - as for the color I like it the way it is, it looks so light and airy - but then again I have been known to be a "tich" color blind

Heidi said...

Looks great sis!!

Sherry Salatto said...

It looks amazing the way it is, but I think the brown would be a great compliment to the tiles and the white accents.

mom said...

great work..as per usual!!!
i think either the brown, if it's a bright sunny area, or the blue would look great...but i do like it as it is too!!!

charmaine said...

beautiful mud room! i really like the yellow, looks good with the white and it really looks good with the floor color.i like it the way it is.i think everything comes together nicely,even with the beautiful baskets on the wall.but if you like blue that would be nice too.also, you have a very beautiful blog. love all your post.

charmaine

Natalie said...

Dark brown is so rich, but I'm afraid it would close in the room. Bonjour Beige from Glidden (Home Depot) is a WONDERFUL creamy brown - not too dark, not real light ~ I've got it EVERYWHERE in my house! BEAUTIFUL job on the mudroom ~ it looks fantastic and SO inviting! WOULD LOVE that entrance here!

sarah said...

Chris, you are very kind - I'm sure your SIL must realise how lucky she is to have you lol!

i love it all, especially the shelf with the hooks underneath (do you mind letting me know if you got the shelf from IKEA too, I re-read but wasn't sure, I'm going there soon for a massive trip, need so much and shelves, hooks and brackets are on the list)

of course I love the white very calming and great with the yellow, the rugs are the great accent, sigh it looks wonderful, I would enjoy laundry in there

I am ashamed of my laundry in the cottage, it probably only needs a morning or so of work to make it over but at the moment it is a dumping ground and seems to get closer and closer to the bottom of the list...but then I see what you did and think how much better it would look with a bit of love!!

oh and another question, is the bead board easy to fix up, I'd really really like that..you seem to make jobs like that look easy, how easy would it be for a DIY trainee like me???

great post, I'm inspired to get off my *** and do some making over! lol!

JenLo said...

I am SO jealous! The entrance to my house comes right into the main living space--I need one of these for my family! You did a beautiful job!

Jen said...

You lucky duck! I really think it is perfect! Enjoy!

Kim said...

OH MY - I'm overwhelmed with how absolutely fantastic it looks!!! Great job!! I really like the brown idea - BUT this looks great!!!

Kari said...

That is the prettiest mudroom I've ever laid eyes on! Wow! Beautiful work!

Kari :)

Cote de Texas said...

Chris- I am bowled over, seriously - you did a fabulous job - when can you come to Houston and redo my garage like this? truly - I love to read about all your projects. great job!!!!!

JOni

JeannieTheDreamer said...

I love your mudroom! Good for you.

megan said...

Oh, how I would love to have a mudroom. I mean, like a real mudroom. Not the room where the mud is dragged in and the coats/shoes/backpacks/toys are strewn about otherwise known as our front room.
Looks great! I love all the hooks and the high shelf. I wonder if I should do that in my front room anyway. Would I hate the utility feel as opposed to the chaos feel?
I vote the creamy yellow because it feels fresh.

meg duerksen said...

this is so so great!
good job!
what fun that had to be putting that all together.
you are so talented!

Chris said...

What a beautiful improvement! It looks spectacular. As for the color, I also love brown (one of my favorite colors), but I would definitely pick up a brownish color in the tile. I don't know how a chocolate brown would look with it, and you don't want them to clash. I'm axious to see what you guys pick out! However, the yellow is really nice!

Danielle said...

You have outdone yourself. Fantastic job. Just wished you lived a little closer so you could come and help me!

restyled home said...

You did an amazing job, as usual, and I bet your sil is happy you're in the family!!

I will email you tomorrow...
Love the new look of your blog, by the way!!

Linda

Mrs. Limestone said...

It looks great!!

PS: Any house with 6 bedrooms can no longer be called a bungalow. I think that qualifies it as an estate :)

Anonymous said...

Great job, love it. I like the yellow it's crisp, clean & airy. But brown is so in right now and would look great too.

Your talents are endless :)

Kathy :)

My home...My life... said...

Looks great - I love the black and white contrast.

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job! Come to my house next please :o)

~Rhonda from Minnesota

Kimba said...

Wow! You did a fantastic job! I'm sure they're going to love using that room.

Man! I could use that kind of help in my mud room.

LessLisa said...

Our mudroom is very similar in that the walls have the beadboard and a very similar shelf which are both white as yours are, but the walls above are a light blue. It gives it a very beachy feel.

I love what you have done, it's gorgeous and so welcoming!

~Lisa
http://balance.lesslisa.com

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

WOW - that is exactly what I want in my laundry room! I love what you've done and have made some mental notes of what to steal...er, I mean BORROW from you. :)

HopewellMomSchool said...

I hate you! lol...... It's just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

RP said...

Where did you get your chalkboard with hooks? I love it and want to put one in my mudroom!

LinkWithin

you might also like