Monday, July 26, 2010

red velvet and special FX


We ended up here yesterday on the third floor of the Clarington Visual Arts Center , it was amazing to see such an old building , the beams are something else , it was hot hot up there on the thrid floor ...but very cool indeed.

We had some guests yesterday for a BBQ and I thought it would be fitting to make some of my cupcakes , but why not try something new , red velvet , I hear such good things about it , all I did was use a vanilla cake mix and add a tbsp of cocoa and a tbsp of vinegar to the mix as per instructions, and red food coloring paste , they turned out very yummy , light and fluffy.


I even got to use my newest cake stand.



After lunch we headed off to Bowmanville a couple or towns away to the visual arts centre , they were showing a vast collection of Hollywood magic , Gordon Smith's personal collection of ghoulish friends, fascinating really . This is the first time these pieces have been shown and here of all places , how could we miss it , my husband has always love special effects I didn't want him to miss it .











Creepy yet cool people.The detail to hair is amazing , each hair is poked into place, even nose hair and beard stubble , every hair , eye lashes ...





I must admit I am not familiar with most of these characters , couldn't tell you what movie this guy is from ?? you know ?







Meet my new best friend , I think it was a bat/cow , wouldn't he look cute over a fire place. Good news no nightmares were had I am happy to report.


So if you are near by and a movie lover you want to hurry up and get on over because this show closes in 2 days ...while you are there you can check out the Bowmanville zoo and the charming downtown too . Clarington Visual Arts Centre

8 comments:

MommaHensCoop said...

EeEk! Those faces were so real!

Ms. Bake-it said...

Pretty freaky! My sons would love that exhibit!

~ Tracy

Sue at Beach Bungalow said...

What's the icing on the cupcakes?

S

Jill@Patinka's said...

Your cupcakes look sooooo deelish!
The icing looks like ice cream. Can you give us the recipe?

Just Beachy said...

The frosting is Betty Crocker french vanilla , I find it a bit sloppy , I didn't have time to make my usual frosting which is simply softened butter and powdered sugar mixed until the right consistency

designlove-cynthia said...

That place looks like a blast! Maybe I should get myself and the kiddies there....

I am craving cupcakes now and I dont' know why.....

Cindy

Lisa said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

The cupcakes look delicious. I tried a red velvet cake during Christmas last year. I'm not a great baker but it turned out.

The exhibit looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

~ Lisa

Amy Krieger said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much for the previous mention of Oakley Home Builders grey siding. We have great wainscoting and stair photos on our website that you might love as well!
http://www.oakleyhomebuilders.com/_webapp_2877388/interior_collection