Saturday, August 30, 2008

So far so good.


I have made good progress and am now out of wood , which is good because if I had more I wouldn't stop but I need a break , I will continue on in the next week. I got up almost 13 rows yippy , all while catching up on my HGTV programs , well listening to them, I think this will be my favorite detail in the house, I have always love beadboard ceilings.
So what have I learned , it is going to look great , the only hard part was cutting down one board on the left side of the room because the room is not square , and cutting the hole out for the pot light , but that is all done now and it should be smooth sailing from here .


After getting up late and starting slow I began the prep work for the ceiling , it does require many steps although easy , I assure you . After scrapping the pop corn texture off many months ago and waiting to get started I today needed to thoroughly vacuum the ceiling to clean off any of the remaining dust so that the adhesive could stick to the ceiling. After applying two coats of shellac based primer to the boards I started to install them , and finding my nail gun in need of charging it has in turn been slow , I am hoping to get a quarter completed today and go on to get 3-6 more packages of wood and get them started as well. 48 hours to wait for the wood to acclimatize and prime then install. So here Saturday at 2:40 this is where things stand right now there's no going back now .


12 comments:

meg duerksen said...

it's going to look so good chris!
great great idea!

Anonymous said...

Was it necessary to remove the popcorn ceiling? Since you're covering it, I wondered.

Layla said...

Oh girl, I KNOW your back is going to be killing you tomorrow!
It looks PHENOMENAL though...it'll be worth it. :-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Becca said...

Oh wow! I really like that! Its going to look awesome!

chriskauf said...

I do believe it is needed to remove the popcorn I don't know how you find the studs with a bumpy ceiling , and if you nailed onto popcorn it would be a really huge mess every nail a nail , it would be horrible mess , and you wouldn't get a good connection as well you need to use a mallet to help the boards into place and popcorn would make the job terrible, I really think it is a neccesary step . I would even dare to say it is the right way.

Chris said...

WHY do you make it seem so easy?! That looks sooo hard, but sooo magnificent. Have some painkillers around, 'cause I have a feeling your back and/or neck are going to hurt. Keep up the good work!

chriskauf said...

Now worries ladies my neck feels good , I have just bought a new ladder three steps with a shelf , makes the job a breeze as well I didn't do too much . Now I just need a shop vac , this wood working is messy stuff.

Holly said...

I love it. Cant wait to see it done!

Allisha said...

Hello,
I'm new to your blog and LOVE the ceiling idea! How do you remove popcorn texture off the ceiling? Our house is covered in that stuff and I detest it so! Curse the man who invented it! You know it was a man because they knew they wouldn't be the ones figuring out how to clean it!

Good luck on finishing!
Allisha

Jen said...

Goodness Chris, I am so impressed. You are quite the go-getter. I love how you dream up an awesome project and just get it done. I wish I wasn't such a procrastinator. You're an inspiration, gal. That's for sure. Keep up the good work. It looks marvelous!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

WOW...You deserve some sort of gold star or something! This is a l ot of work...but WHAT a difference it is gonna make.

Just WOW!

megan said...

I am very impressed with your ambition to tackle this project yourself. It looks great already!

LinkWithin

you might also like