Monday, April 23, 2012

weekend wonders

 I love a face frame kitchen but this is not what I have, but I can add character to what I have to make it more interesting. Like the bulkhead and crown moulding, and by adding simple brackets. But how to attach them was a tricky issue. The brackets have a key hole installation , but since my cabinet are in place I can not use that kind of installation. I added  a small valance detail to the bottom of all the upper cabinets. I screwed this 1x2"primed wood with particle screws .
 I then attached a half round trim to the 1x2" boards.
 Easy enough.
 I then glued and nailed 1x3" primed wood to the tops of the brackets so that I could screw them under the cabinets , everything is now flush with the valance and I just had to paint it all grey.
 Problem solved. And I can move them to accommodate the tile. I'm not sure why I installed them all now , I guess I am excited to see how it would all look.


 Next step was adding the tile to the stove area since the range hood is going in tomorrow I needed to get to it already.
The tiling went quite well , since I have a wet tile saw. So well I decided to just keep going and going until my hands felt like sand paper. 
I used large spacers 3/16" for a more contemporary bold look. I used subway tile in the old house so I wanted this installation to be different. Bold grout lines , grey grout and no accent. The stove and hood are the star of this kitchen. I need to also finish the grouting in this area today .
I love how glazed tiles reflect so much light in a kitchen, I chose these tiles from Lowe's, they are a little creamy in colour .

So today I will grout some tile, make some thick shelves for the open shelving by laminating two boards together, and I'm going to tackle some more of the stair painting project. And I will take some time to rest as well , I swear I am pacing myself.
We are adjusting to having the fridge back in the kitchen , this is a welcome change. I still need to make some shelves for the open shelving there. Install the painted doors and drawer to the left of the fridge. Then onto adding a cornice treatment above this area.

No comments: