Monday, April 23, 2012

weekend wonders

 I love a face frame kitchen but this is not what I have, but I can add character to what I have to make it more interesting. Like the bulkhead and crown moulding, and by adding simple brackets. But how to attach them was a tricky issue. The brackets have a key hole installation , but since my cabinet are in place I can not use that kind of installation. I added  a small valance detail to the bottom of all the upper cabinets. I screwed this 1x2"primed wood with particle screws .
 I then attached a half round trim to the 1x2" boards.
 Easy enough.
 I then glued and nailed 1x3" primed wood to the tops of the brackets so that I could screw them under the cabinets , everything is now flush with the valance and I just had to paint it all grey.
 Problem solved. And I can move them to accommodate the tile. I'm not sure why I installed them all now , I guess I am excited to see how it would all look.


 Next step was adding the tile to the stove area since the range hood is going in tomorrow I needed to get to it already.
The tiling went quite well , since I have a wet tile saw. So well I decided to just keep going and going until my hands felt like sand paper. 
I used large spacers 3/16" for a more contemporary bold look. I used subway tile in the old house so I wanted this installation to be different. Bold grout lines , grey grout and no accent. The stove and hood are the star of this kitchen. I need to also finish the grouting in this area today .
I love how glazed tiles reflect so much light in a kitchen, I chose these tiles from Lowe's, they are a little creamy in colour .

So today I will grout some tile, make some thick shelves for the open shelving by laminating two boards together, and I'm going to tackle some more of the stair painting project. And I will take some time to rest as well , I swear I am pacing myself.
We are adjusting to having the fridge back in the kitchen , this is a welcome change. I still need to make some shelves for the open shelving there. Install the painted doors and drawer to the left of the fridge. Then onto adding a cornice treatment above this area.

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, you're the queen of adding extra smashing touches!! Tile looks great!

Rachel said...

I think I'm just going to start calling you Wonder Woman. You go girl! It looks amazing!

Linda said...

It's coming along nicely. Brrr the weather has changed again.

Cynthia said...

Can't wait to see it with the dark grout! Love it already.

Cindy

laxsupermom said...

It's really coming along! Can't wait to see the tile grouted! Thanks for sharing.

Imageremix said...

So much progress! Fun to watch someone else work! :)

Jenna said...

Chris, the brackets look INCREDIBLE! Love them! And the tile too, of course. Can't go wrong with subway!