Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Closing the Curtain

I am working on a little project that I have literally drawn the curtain on . Sophie's closet .
A while ago , let's guess a year and a half ago , I took the standard closet with one long shelf and one rod. So I simply moved the rod and shelf to suit a child , my child , I bought some simple pine boards , and L brackets and left over bits of plain primed MDF and I put together a useful yet not pretty closet . I always meant to go back and finish this paint and trim out my most shabby work. Honestly I didn't know if I would keep it like this because I was so unhappy with the way it turned out.
Well turns out it works really well and hold so many things , and girls have lots of things.

This is how it looks this morning above , a mess , needing quite a lot of work . So I primed and fixed major wall wounds with spackle , and then I added a beaded trim piece to the edges , what a difference that made, and I filled all my shameful gaps with caulking and it is really coming along.


A year and a half ago .




I hope to show you the finished closet tomrrow.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I need an infusion of your energy and confidence. I started my own blog today, yikes, and you are one of my inpiration blogs. Stop by and check it out. I could use some advice and still have a lot to learn. Elizabeth
blue clear skies

Elizabeth said...

Oops, blue clear sky. I have soooo much to learn.

Leigh said...

Woah!
Join me for Thrifty Thursday this week is youcan!

julia said...

I like this idea, it looks great!

SweDaisy said...

Wow, you're such a great mom! I love the idea of moving the rod and shelf lower. Kids always want to dress themselves and this way she can reach all of her neat stuff. The clear storage bins are also a great idea, what's inside?

take care,
Lisa

P.S What did your neighbour decide to do with her house design?

LaurenFaythe said...

I love it! I've been thinking for a while if I should switch out the doors on some of our closets. I don't think doors allow us much flexibility and sometimes hinder us from being able to see and reach everything. I hope your daughter can keep it looking as pretty as it is now!:) Thanks for the inpsiration!

Gaston Studio said...

Lucky little girl is Sophie! My daughter and I live in an historic home that we're still renovating after 5 years! She's about to rebuild an old closet into a walkin so some good ideas are coming from your blog.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love the design of it Chris...what kind of a rod is the curtain hanging on ??

Looking forward to tomorrow..

I am guessing the wrist is much better ?

Kathy :)

Pink Slippers said...

I am learning that girls have a lot of stuff too. And I keep contributing to it. The closet seems to be coming along just great.
Wendy

Chris said...

Kathy ,
The rod is an I track with the little rollers , super chaep and works great , easy for a kid to open and close.

Norma said...

you are amazing!!!!! how do you do it!!!!