Thursday, January 15, 2009

Questions

The dining table was honey pine , I used a high adhesion primer {ZINSSER 123} which allows you to skip sanding, I then painted it with several coats of paint and finished it with a clear topcoat, I ALWAYS use latex paint , I decided to paint it black and since it was already in latex I simply wiped it down and painted it with Tremclad "BLACK" paint in latex I mixed some matte and some gloss that I had to get a satin finish , I will let it cure for several days before top coating it with varathane.
I am glad so many of you like the table makeover, I do too , but I also like white and cream painted furniture , I have painted many items white , and love the look of classic white cottage style painted pieces .
No I will not change the fabric , the fabric on the chairs is a gorgeous linen paisley and the bench is a soft grey linen , perfect as is , I think , I was just looking for contrast for the table.
I have been in many homes with dark furniture and dark floors and deep walls and solid fabrics and I find that mood is gloomy I need light spaces they affect my mood in a positive way . If there is not contrast between pieces a room feels boring to me or flat , I love pattern and mismatched furniture , no matching sets for me , I have collected loved pieces over time and my home reflects that .

11 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the stripes on your dining room walls! What is the best way to make them straight? Especially as you turn the corner? Thanks! Your house is amazing!!!

Pink Slippers said...

I agree with everything you said. I don't like dark and gloomy for myself. It doesn't mean it does not look good is some homes. I need white, bright and clean looks. I also like the mismatch.

Chris said...

I should say I have seen gorgeous homes with dark schemes but there is always a space for relief from the dark , like a light kitchen with dark walls. It can be nice , its just not for me .
I striped the walls and used a level , I just took my time to get it right .

mimi said...

I think you are dead on to leave the lovely linen on the chairs and bench. The contrast is pleasing and strikes just the right balance of light and dark. Beautiful!

MeganSloan said...

I think it's GREAT! I love the mix of dark and light colors and paired with the black mirror and dark metal (black?) light fixture, it's great. And I agree that you shouldn't change the fabric. It would distract from how clean and simple (yet not boring!) room you have.

I also love dark furniture. My issue is that everything in my house is now become dark, so I'm having to lighten things up with accessories (we bought our house with an entire dining set and living room furniture).

Becca said...

I love the contrast with your dark table. And your bench is TDF!!!

I think it is so interesting though how colors can really affect our moods. I love, love, love white and light interiors but absolutely cannot live with them because I always feel so cold in them (even in the summer). I have to decorate with warm colors to warm me up! Weird eh? I say kudos to you for knowing what you like and going for it!

Lisa Guerra-Lewis said...

Thanks so much for addressing the questions. I think you are absolutely correct- do NOT change the fabrics. I love the contrast. LOVE the contrast of the white painted chairs with the grounding black table. To me it makes the table that much more special. And there are black accents in the room that really pop now because of the table. Job well done!

Elizabeth (Northern01 on rms) said...

Love the change and you are right on, your home does reflect your collection of loved pieces. That is why I stop by daily~~to be inspired and to gather ideas. Keep up the great work. Elizabeth

Sarah said...

Your dining room is amazing!! I just saw your blog tonight and I know I am going to enjoy looking around. I have a question for you though...What kind of paint do you suggest for painting cabinets? Thanks!

kcurry said...

Love the table black! It really POPS now! I want to add to Sarah's question..... you said you always use latex paint and I was wondering if you even used latex on your kitchen cabinets? I've had my cabinets painted in oil and I think they've already yellowed a little bit so I was thinking about having them repainted in latex but I'm worried about them not being as durable. What did you use in your kitchen and what color? Sorry for all the questions......your blog is my favorite!

Buffey said...

First LOVE your blog! I am thinking of also painting a table black, I read that you mentioned putting the varathane on it to protect it, to allow it to be more use able. After doing that step is it 'use able'? Mine would be my every day family table...I wouldn't want to have to put a protective cloth on it everytime we eat.

LinkWithin

you might also like