Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How to build a work table

How do you decide how to make a work table , thankfully the work surface is already purchased , for $60.00 a large butcher block counter , so that is my starting point and size.
I know I want it higher than a regular dining table, more comfortable to work at . Low cost of course. I was liking the idea of using the base for storage , perhaps a pair of these book cases , I would need to make them higher some how .
I love the look of this island but not enough storage and my work space is twice the size of this one.

This too is charming , but lacks storage.



It would be great to find an old character piece like this .





This is more of the type of storage I am hoping for . I think I will go back to the days I made my huge kitchen island and reinvent it , another Chris Original , very inexpensive and full of storage .
I will go sketch now , the ideas are flowing.

9 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

I have a free-standing stainless steel commercial kitchen counter which is about six feet long and three feet deep. It's got a backstop, so things don't roll down the back. It's also got a shelf, where my yellow lab sleeps during the summer (when the steel is cool).

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

How fun! I can't wait to see what you create - I'm sure it will be marvelous!

SweDaisy said...

Funny when I saw the first image I thought "Chris should design something like her island". There was a posting a read a few days ago where a lady used 4 cabinets from Ikea and some pretty little decorative feet for furniture. I will see if I can find it again. I think it's just what you are looking for. Can't wait to see what you do.

take care,
Lisa

SweDaisy said...

I knew I would find it quickly. Her name is Kari, here's her blog

http://springchickdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-craft-room-is-featured-on-ikea.html

It' was also featured step by step on Ikea Hacker

http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/search/label/craft

Hope this helps :)

take care,
Lisa

Lisa said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last one in the series of pictures you posted. Although I think that the bookcases used as bases would provide great storage.

The butcher block top will look fantastic no matter what you choose!

The Steel Magnolia House said...

Love the character piece! That's my fave! But I think a Chris original is probably what the doctor ordered. If you can't find what you want - make it yourself, right? :)

SweDaisy said...

I love Spring Chick, I knew you would too. I calculated the price and thought the same thing. What about in stock pieces from Home Depot? I'm living vicariously through you for this project :)

take care,
Lisa

Meredith said...

Hey Chris-
I made a work station with two bookcases from Ikea, I purchased feet from Ikea to raise the bookcases to the proper height. I also put a butcherblock on top. I lined the back of the shelves with left over beadboard. I think the entire project cost less than $100.00.
Good Luck!
Meredith

Saucy said...

Can you bump together two of those islands, and make storage underneath? That would do it. Plus, you could paint them the same tint as the character piece!