Friday, March 28, 2008

Popcorn is coming down.

Click on the photo for better detail I hope you can make this out, it is a bit tough to see I tried my best with editing but this is as good as it gets, I have succeeded at removing the ceiling texture well at least perfected the technique, that is a so hated by everyone on earth, it is not a fun job, obviously as you can see I have not made much progress, I first started by removing it dry with a scraper or mud knife, I thought it would be easier with a big one, well I was wrong, it is much easier to use a 3" wide knife/scraper, I spray it lightly with water, not soaking, don't want to disturb the paper underneath , and it comes off very nicely, I used a semi see through bowl to catch the majority if the stuff and very little falls else where but the area will need a vacuuming , I don't know how people live through reno's.
The curtains are at the cleaners well one panel anyway , I have been wanting to clean my kitchen drapes as they were a mess from my two dogs, and the mud and all,as well they are velvet and lined and I didn't want to ruin them so I called a cleaners yesterday to inquire about price , and I suppose he misheard me ask if they were $12.00 a panel to clean he heard $4.00 and hung up on me..... huh are you kidding me , I called him back and said "did you hang up on me?" , he said "uh no" , " I think you did , I was trying to find out pricing" I say , he abruptly says, " Just bring them in" , I think not buddy , can you believe that , I found a kind woman across town who charged twice as much , and cleans in house , I took the panel to her, we will see how they come out , there is some fading and possible pee staining on the one panel, I know yuck, if they come out well than they will stay , or perhaps I can do a treatment at the bottom to camouflage the yucky part at the hem :( I love those velvet drapes I must make them work. I am thinking if a series of bark brown ribbon rows sewn across the bottom.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

That's crazy! Sometimes I wonder how people stay in business. I think brown ribbon would be gorgeous on the the bottom. Can't wait to see them!

Katrina Chambers said...

Wow, what a big job! It will look excellent when you are finished I am sure!!

Blueberry said...

Good luck with that ceiling. I always wondered how it should be tackled. I'm planning on putting beadboard up over top of mine one day.

Blueberry

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Congrats on taking the plunge. I am sure that despite the mess, it must be nice to "get it done" after looking at for so long. Trust me, I know. With very few exceptions most of my house is covered in plaster ceilings (plaster...not popcorn). Someday, I'll have to do a tour of all of the designs. It is quite funny actually. My theory is that someone must have been going through for "decorative plaster ceiling school" in my house because there are different patterns in each room. It is going to be a huge job but I am leaving it for another year and just focusing changing the 1992 colours and wallpaper this year.

Anyway, I am glad that you have made the plunge!