Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What did I start?

Things are coming along in the family room, I am not sure about the pale grey color for the wall change , as it is cool and the blues are cool, perhaps I need some warmth , I am think a nice cream color, now the search is on for a cream, I can not say enough how important it is to spring for those small pots of paint and try good sized sample boards around a room, its worth saving a mistake and choosing a color that won't make you happy. My settee decision has also changed after buying a yard of robin's egg blue linen look fabric, it had a lot of gray in it , but clearly it was not right, I need a more neutral fabric, a linen look yes, but in a sandy beige as to blend in with the other pieces in the room, I will play with fabrics with pattern on the pillows. I am very happy with the table and the roman's, the wall decor and painting black the mirror. I also updated the lamp shade on the floor lamp it is a green Channel type woven , I might embellish it a bit more , but there is time.

I have dismantled the desk chair that the springs were all a mess, it was so gross , I don't know how old this chair is as it was a garbage pick up , about 8 years ago, the woman threw out a perfectly good and solid chair because its cream fabric was soiled, so I have had it in toile , and this stripe, of course, and now is time for its third makeover under my ownership, I am still waiting for a quote from an upholsterer , it's taking longer than I think that it should have, however after pulling all the horse hair and springs and staples and nails out of it it is ready for a rebuild , but why springs? I will build it like my dining room chairs, cut a piece of plywood the shape of the chair, crew it from underneath and buy new foam and it will have a foam seat much more my speed. I will use the blue fabric I picked up for the settee , but the back of the chair will remain the stripe and all the front pieces will be the linen type blue, with nail studs, probably in black. I really love this chair , and it was free , what could be better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool lamp shade!

Mrs. Limestone said...

I love the dark floors in here! Gorge.

While Im a fan of gray, I agree its not right for this room. I like the seascape color scheme you have working here.

Anonymous said...

I love your colors and agree that you need a warm color. I have used Beach White by Behr and it is Great!!! I have it in our new family room, which has lots of dark wood, light blue and cream, same beachy color scheme that your room seems to have. Hope this might help/ i just love watching someone transform a room w/o spending alot of $$$.
Denise

Katrina said...

Oh, I'm sad that the blue on the settee didn't work out. I was excited to see that! But I'm sure it'll look great on that chair. Your blog puts me in project mode!

Mrs. Jones said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Soleil said...

Do you make housecalls, LOL?? My house was built in 1926, and it needs a lot of tweaking! You are the most productive person I've ever seen! BTW...I'm only about 5 hours from Toronto! (in Michigan)

Thank you for posting the Sarah eye candy. Just adore her. So jealous that you get to shop in the same shops she does.

I just wanted to make a suggestion (hope you don't mind) regarding your slipcover. When you have it made, maybe you could have one or two extra (depending on cost) cushion covers made. I notice that you keep it covered most of the time for your dogs. That way when one is in the wash, you could have the other on the settee. Just thinking out loud here. All but one of my upholstered pieces is slipcovered and I will never be without them now.

I love seeing your gorgeous home and all of your projects!

Take Care!
Sheila

chriskauf said...

Sheila,
Thank you for your kinds words.
That is a great idea for the slip covers, the blankets on their now are because I am a lazy laundry person, my dog gobbered up all over the current cover and I haven't washed it yet , normally I do not have blankets on my furniture, not a look I like, but it makes the settee feel less gross, all of my other pieces are currently slipcovered , I could never go back.
I should just do laundry more, Ok I will go right now.

Soleil said...

Chris
I'm a lazy laundry girl too. The only reason my furniture isn't covered in blankets is because I'm a meanie and I don't let my dog up on the furniture. In fact, he is not allowed in the living room at all. He is a pain to bathe, and my hubby doesn't get to it often enough. He's a stinky dog. Good thing he is adorable!

Take Care!
Sheila