Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Creating an open staircase

I joined the stare at my staircase party at Stories of A to Z come see....


I am very fond of open stairs to a basement , but mine was not, in fact it was very closed , so I made it open myself , by cutting a hole in a wall and letting the light in...


I have been MIA lately because I have been working day and night on this little spot of the house , after I replaced the carpet with hardwood and trimmed it all out , I was inspired to finally finish the basement stairs , lots of dust and paint and a little while later I am happy to show you how things have evolved...

I remove the basement door to sand it down {it was sticking} and to repaint it black , but I am enjoying the openess that it brings to have this spot doorless...not too sure , but I am going to live with it for a while and see if it should stay open , then I will fill in the hings holes, we will see...rolling with the changes

I have finally finished the basement stair makeover , which included removing the shabby runner { a temporary fix}I had installed , adding trim moulding to the sides to fill in the gap , I then added left over pieces of paneling and beadboard to the risers , I think it is charming , then I added these simple number stickers , I have always wanted to do this , what a perfect spot for a cheeky detail... I painted the treads with semi gloss latex paint.




I am OK with keeping this area open to my workroom , won't it look great with laminate floors once I find the right kind...I hate those chipboard floor panels they are great for basements for drainage but you can't see what is on the floor like staples and saw dust, and the floor snags on my socks and feet , it will get covered...





This cut out lets light into the stairwell and adds interest to this spot as well as a peek of blue from the one painted wall...



I am thinking of adding an upholstered cushion to this little "spot" which usually is piled high with laundry or more often tools and paint cans... somewhere for the dogs to perch or for the girls to gab on the phone...






Here is how the stairs started out , ewww!!!










Cutting out the hole was easy , all I had to do is frame it out with 2x4's.











Here is how the wall started out , fine but nothing special , nothing to HANG on to ...









There you go , so that is what I have been up to , I wonder what's next?




No comments: