Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The evolution of my bedroom


I just wanted to share some of things that I have done to update my bedroom over the last 6-8 months,



Funny how things
change , my original thought for this room was a mocha colour, which I tried some samples of just looked mucky and dreary, after finding this blue it gave me the calm feel I was after, but lacking that spark , on christmas eve I decided to see how some large bold stripes a few shades darker would look, loved them and too my surprise so did my other half.



After base coating this dresser and leaving it for over a year , I tackled faux finishing it, due to pottery barn inspiration, it was a lot of elbow grease but I love how it turned out, and its the smoothest item in my home, who would think I dresser could be tactile?
I finally found the right chair for my corner, a velvet brown comfy chair, for the occasional escape.
I first had cream linen drapes,drab, babyish, then I had brown mocha velvet drapes, they were fine but I longed for some stripes, I wanted silk, but at $500.00 seemed very greedy, so these at $60.00 for the pair, gave me the look of silk for a fraction of the cost.
For sure my room is feminine, but the drapes (which are blue and brown stipres)and chair and grey tones in the room add a bit of masculine , to tone down some of the sweet.Truth be told, I long for a pink bedroom, but I would never do that to Todd.Thankfully I have little girls, perhaps some day I will have an office and it Will be pink.

5 comments:

restyled home said...

You are the winner for most motivational commenter on my post today!! I have to do it...so I can be as happy as you are with your bedroom. It's beautiful and I will start my "reno" as soon as the kids go back to school.
Are you serious about the brown drapes? I'd be thrilled to have them...and very grateful!

I often wish we were neighbours. Wouldn't we have fun??

Linda

chriskauf said...

Aw shucks... totally serious about the drapes, email me your mailing address, wouldn't that be nice to be neighbours, we would have lots of fun, we would show each other the exact same things we just bought hehe, maybe we could get two for one specials.
After school starts there will be much more order, I am looking forward to that , is your Sophie starting grade 1 as well.

Shannon said...

Chris,
Thanks for checking out my blog. I love visiting yours daily to be inspired. I think your style and eye for design is amazing. I hope you get your pink room someday!

Heidi said...

so, are you going to do a future tutorial on how you accomplished that finish on your dresser????

Terri said...

Your room looks gorgeous. Love that dresser - tutorial please!