Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mudroom Magic

I really do love my home, it is not large , it is 1890 sq ft , a fine size to me, considered small by many I am sure , but it has two ground floor living rooms, seperate dining room , eat in kitchen and three bedrooms the master which is quite large and one bedroom which is also quite large for a child's bedroom and a smaller room with a covered porch , two and a half baths, a great wish list , this house's short comings are that is is a small lot , and the houses are very close and the house's lack privacy, we only have one garage and a single drive , so as you can imagine that can be a pain, the garage has never had a car in it , nor will it , it is purely for storage and that is fine.
I have always wanted a mudroom , this house lacks storage, partly my fault, you can never under estimate storage space as I did.
I have considered adding on to the back of the house a mudroom laundry room , but a foundation and the expense would not make any sense. To move to get a mudroom one extra parking space and one extra and a not needed bedroom would cost a mere additional $100,000.00 to the mortgage , not to mention the property taxes , as this area is known as the highest in the GTA in Toronto they pay much less than we do ,annoying, but we have nearly crime free living , new schools , rec centers and brand new shopping & resturants , everything you need to exist in a 10 minute walk away , so it is very worth the extra dough.
Back to my mudroom , now where can that go , well into the back portion of my garage , I can make an open entrance where a garage entrance was an option which I choose not to have done at the time of building, I can use up a third of the garage space and create a mudroom , it will be a short walk from the front door as well we can do a door from the garage as well. I can see it now, are you with me here. There is already water there so potentially I could have laundry and a wash basin for cleaning those grubby dogs I have. Oh my we could live here for ever , as the basement will now be left for two roomy offices and a craft space , yippee I am so excited , can't say when this will happen but it is the perfect idea, plenty of people turn their garages into living space , yuck , so why can't I carve out an awesome mudroom in mine.
Linda's mudroom , stunning and inspirational.
Ok I have got it , I will raise the floor so that it is one step down from the hall into this room , with a pocket door , heated tile floors ,easy clean, open lockers of course.
This is the ah ha mudroom above that has started the whole thing. I too might have a mudroom in my future .
I can imagine using it now, I may even be able to carve out laundry chute as it will be in the perfect location for it, this is very exciting news.

9 comments:

Jen@The Cottage Nest said...

Completely gorgeous eye candy! I love looking at organized spaces. I too dream of a mudroom. Here's hoping it is in both of our futures!

Suzanne said...

We have a combination laundry room/mud room. I love it. There are windows, a door to the outside, a door to the garage, a closet, a laundry tub, cabinets and the washer and dryer.

I bought one of those storage benches from Crate & Barrell and the baskets that fit in the spaces below. It's great. I've got to do something more creative with the decor in there though. Thanks for the ideas.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

restyled home said...

I am so happy that you had a light bulb moment!! Your mudroom will be perfect, and isn't it fun when we squeeze a little more living into our homes?? Well done!

I'll email soon...life's been busy!

Heidi said...

Very inspirational photos, how exciting! We have a back entry where you come in from the garage (we hardly come in the front door), and the back deck. It also has a little laundry room off of it. It has a closet but we could rip that out and build one of these to open the space up. All of our shoes end up being kicked off and never make it to the closet anyway.

Now you've got ME thinking.

hqm said...

I have mudroom envy...we have a very small midroom you can hardly turn around...it is ALWAYS a mess!
My friend is building a new mudroom, knocking down walls, eliminating her formal living room, there will be windows, lockers, baskets and my favorite a brick floor! Green with Envy!!!!

Mrs. Limestone said...

Oh, I'd love a mudroom with little cubbies and a place for everything. I can't wait to see yours.

PS: 1900 sq feet is NOT small!

goddessof4 said...

I am totally with you!!! I NEED a mudroom.I live in an old house and unfortunately do not have a mud room,I do have a small covered porch in the back but we do not go in that way,oh well!!!

Jennifer said...

I came across your blog while searching for mudroom locker storage ideas. In the last picture on this page you posted a mudroom with a wall organizer system on the opposite side of the lockers. Do you have any idea where I can buy that?

BTW - great design ideas. Thanks for posting.

DreamingInCT said...

Your photos are beautiful. With snowy Winters, muddy Springs, boots, kids and dogs I can't believe we don't have one! Have you had a chance to make one yet? I am thinking that vinyl wainscoting might work well for waterproof walls behind hooks. Good luck to you!

LinkWithin

you might also like