Monday, September 15, 2008

The kitchen reno's

What a difference , I am so happy
with all of the work .


Here is the photo of the kitchen in 2003 , I painted the cupboards right away this awful shade and rubbed on a glaze, my husband added the beadboard and trim to the bulkhead , notice the glaring white appliances, so glad they are finally gone. I found the color of the cupboards sucked up all the light , which gets lovely morning sun but that is it.

Although I disliked the tiles , they were supposed to be wood floors but the by-laws changed and I had to choose tile , instead of ripping everything out , I covered almost all of it with my big island those girls couldn't fit in there now, building it was a family affair .
This was the first try two door and open areas , the baskets were a pain and I needed more closed storage, good thing the doors were Ikea so we just went back and picked up two more . I later glazed the doors more and more to hide the shadows.
My very first tile job, it is worth trying it is not that hard to do , I rented a tile saw , grouting is that most annoying step , which I assure you is done.
The computer hutch that my husband built , the last thing he built as I took over all construction after that .
Here is the current evolution of the island , very functional , and hardworking , oh wait I changed the hardware recently to stainless bars.


The range hood I figured out how to build just by trying this was my second attempt , it went so smoothly , not all thing I build do and the new appliances , what a dream I love them .
The two fixtures instead of one .
Old cast iron three bowl sink that we installed , we took out the brand new stainless small one the builder gave us , and added this dark faucet it is cheap though , wish we had a better quality faucet.
The swinging door , much better than the baby gate that was there , which is good for dog containment .
Progress .




Cute but I knew it could be better.






And the faux tin panel that I glued onto the ugly dishwasher , I didn't want stainless as it would be two stainless squares side by side eventually , I wanted the dishwasher to blend , it does but it wears a cute coat of "tin."



26 comments:

Layla said...

Such an inspiration as usual....LOVE your style and you are such a hard worker. We should be sisters.

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Suzy said...

I love your kitchen you are so creative.
I have a tag for you to play along, only if you like. Please stop by, it would be nice to know more about you.

Enjoy your day. Suzy

lilibethsgarden said...

Doesn't look like the same kitchen. You are an interior spaces artist! And exterior too. :o)

MelsRosePlace said...

This is brilliant! I have the worst kitchen and you have given me lots of inspiration, especially love that tin panel! Mel xx

My home - My life said...

WOW what a change! I love the island with the baskets - so cute.

You did a really nice job on everything here.

I have been wanting to paint my cabinets for 2 years and this have given me more of a drive to do so...

Emily said...

It looks beautiful! I always enjoy reading your posts. Such an inspiration!

jnifferjuniper said...

Lots of inspiration here!
I am trying to get the nerve to paint my cabinets. my kitchen is very tiny and doesn't get much light. I'm wondering how you chose the white for your cabinets...I don't want the cabinets to suck up the light, I want them to reflect the light.

Chris said...

Loved all the pictures in this one! I kept going back and forth between them to see the different changes. Man, you work so hard!

For the Love of Cottage said...

It looks beautiful. You did a wonderful job.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

megan said...

I have to say that I am quite envious of that huge kitchen island of yours. And your carpentry skills...sheesh, I am green with envy right now!

Jen said...

I love your blog, I got it over at eightcrazy, i just happened to have moved and have been telling my husband what i want to do with the kitchen, and much to my surprise you did it with the island. We currently have an island and I want to extend it out and get rid of our table, thanks for the pictures now my husband can see what I was trying to explain. Jen Koeln from, Sunny South Carolina

julie said...

Beautiful!!! OK, where is your microwave? I really want to add the same type of hood over the oven but I have the microwave above the oven and it does save space. What to do? Please let us know! Julie email-mastersonspj@bellsouth.net

Simply Me Art said...

Wow, I just surfed in and your Kitchen is Gorgeous! Lucky you.. all your work paid off beautifully. Jamie

meg duerksen said...

looks so good and such pride you must have in doing so much yourself!
way to go!

Anonymous said...

Love your kitchen! What color is on the walls in family room/kitchen? It looks like some sort of beige. Really pretty!

Anonymous said...

Love the hood above the range. Are there doors and storage? Do you have instructions on how to build it that you could share? Thanks so much! Really enjoy your blog!

Tricia said...

I love what you are doing with your kitchen, but i have to ask... where did you get the skull and cross bones sweatshirt for your Boston? I have a very spoiled Boston that would love to be wearing that this winter. (He is a wimp when it comes to the cold!)

Tricia said...

I love what you are doing with your kitchen, but i have to ask... where did you get the skull and cross bones sweatshirt for your Boston? I have a very spoiled Boston that would love to be wearing that this winter. (He is a wimp when it comes to the cold!)

chriskauf said...

Tricia ,
I got the sweater locally I have found the website http://www.mysassydog.com/index.php
they have such great stuff, I have one daintly boston who can not tolelrate the winter , heck spring makes him shiver.

Saucy said...

EEEk! How did I never find you before! This kitchen is so amazing... we are about to start our own! You did a wonderful job. It's all about beadboard, beadboard, beadboard! I'm off to get some tea and lurk you for a while! Oh happy day!

Tricia said...

My Boston is not dainty (he is actually pretty muscular) but he is a wimp! If the temperature is below 75 or above about 82 he thinks he is DYING. It is quite hilarious actually.

chriskauf said...

The walls are antarctic ice CIL paints and the the range hood opens for storage yes, it hold all my cleaning stuff.
Chris

traci said...

wow - i love that kitchen. the tile backsplash is just beautiful. i need to reno mine big time.

Cali Girl said...

love looking through your home. so pretty and cozy!

edie said...

I am so excited to find you and so glad you linked with us! I love your work and love your "I can do it" attitude!

The range hood: fabulous!

Hugs,
edie

Jodee said...

I just love your kitchen! Do you remember the color/paint you have on your cabinets? It is the perfect shade of white! You have totally inspired me to paint my cabinets in the kitchen:) Love it! I love your huge island too!

LinkWithin

you might also like