Monday, May 14, 2012

The Marble is finally here

I was so looking forward to the installation of the marble and it was as interesting as I had thought it would be. Of course I wanted to see everything but I didn't want to get in anyone's way, I think I behaved. 

 What a before and after !!!! It was not easy for them to get this large run of counter out , it got a little damaged but I think there will be more than enough for our friends to use in their kitchen at least I hope so.
 The sink will set in place over the next couple of days , there is an epoxy holding it in place as well as the wood for now until it all sets.
 It is true it is so much brighter and lighter in here now . The feel of the marble is devine , it is heavenly.
 I will be going to pick up lots of felt pads tomorrow. We will use the laundry room sink until we get the kitchen sink hooked up .
 I love all the variation in the stone , there is so much to look at , veins, both grey and white and even a tiny sparkle. It has been sealed 4 times already but I will need to seal it monthly for the first year. Scratches can be easily sanded out with 220 sandpaper. It is honed.
 You can see in the right bottom corner the seam, the only seam in this very long run of counter , its clean and tiny and it doesn't bother me at all.
 This is my baking zone , I can see myself rolling out dough on occasion here, much easier on marble so I hear.
 Loving this deep large one bowl sink, we will need to have some plumbing done .
 I'm hoping to finish off the rest of the tiling , I am so glad I did so much of it ahead.
 I am going to get to the sanding of the lower cabinets ASAP, I can't wait for it all to be grey, light and airy.
I just need to pick out a fabulous tile for this area!!!!
The kitchen is in the final stretch now , a little plumbing , painting and grouting , we are so close , I love it so much already.

16 comments:

Michelle said...

It is so beautiful!!!

Pine Tree Home said...

Beautiful. Like an old world kitchen.

TinaTx said...

I'm so enjoying watching your kitchen transformation! I just started painting my cabinets today but you will still probably beat me to the finish line. (my kitchen is much smaller than yours and in no way my dream kitchen, but I can't wait to banish the dark cabinets)
Your counters are awesome!!!

Missy in Texas said...

I am so jealous! Your kitchen is amazing. Actually,... YOU ARE AMAZING! I don't know how in the world you are managing to get so much done on your house. I have been in my new house for six months now and have managed to only paint 2 rooms.. let a lone blog about it. YOU ROCK girl! I wish I lived close by. I would love to hang out, help, and learn how you do all of your fabulous trim projects. Can't wait to see what else you are up to.

Karena said...

How gorgeous, I can see why you are thrilled!! Love your choices!

I want to invite you to come and see my interview with Tina from The Enchanted Home!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

Gorgeous! You must be SO happy!

S
xo

frances said...

All I can say is WOW they look fantastic...I kind of like the bottom cabinets dark...it looks good in pictures..but having an all white kitchen myself I know the allure of that is too much..Keep up the good work Chris cheers Frances

Simply Jen said...

Gosh...I cannot tell you how much I'm loving this "builder grade" transformation! Seriously! You are doing an AMAZING job making this home your own.
Love, Love, Love it!
Jen xo

LauraJane said...

Beautiful

Rachel said...

They're BEAUTIFUL!!! Great pick. It's coming along so nicely.

Jane said...

Tile - seriously? Take a breather and look at what you've got going on:

subway tile
marble
dark wood floor
island w/light wood
cabinets light gray
cabinets dark gray
stainless steel

It's okay to want one of everything, but it really doesn't look so good when it is all together. Some of the elements need to repeat.

Just Beachy said...

Jane I guess all that matters is that my husband and I love our kitchen , and everyone who has been in it , loves it.

AndeM1 said...

sigh.....heaven on earth.......
Andrea

JeanneW said...

I'm so thrilled to see your new marble counters. I think they look absolutely gorgeous! I know people love to warn and complain about marble but in my opinion, there's no material like it. I've had corian, tile, granite and marble counters and the marble is my fave. Okay here's another warning (haha)...I read a blog where a man used green felt pads and accidentally stained his white marble with green spots. Naturally I make sure to use white or rubber felt and I'm happy to report I've never had an issue. One more detail, I promise! I saw our installer use a very sharp pencil to *very lightly* brush pencil marks over the white seam. Then he rubbed the light pencil marks with his finger. I was freaked and exclaimed "what are you doing?!". He said it made the seams "disappear" and sure enough they did. If you're so inclined, you might try a tiny section. The kitchen looks gorgeous. Enjoy!

Terri G said...

I am loving following your house 'upgrades.' We are going to be building soon and plan to do the marble too, against all advice ;) Nothing else comes close though IMO. Can you tell me why you did honed instead of not honed? I am getting confused b/c every site I have looked on says something different so trying to figure out the best way to go. Thanks so much!

Just Beachy said...

Honed is better for white marble because most of all the sealers can penetrate better into the stone. With polished you will get etching from any moisture that can be scrubbed away. With honed you can buff out scratches with 220 grit sand paper. My marble installer is going to pick me up a heavy duty sealer , I will post about it.
I have seen polished and how it ages and it looks pretty dreadful.

LinkWithin

you might also like