Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sophie's upholstered headboard

 I was able to start and complete a whole project at this house this week. See I seem to be able to start projects but other things just have to wait , until the floor is installed, oh those floors, three more days until they can be installed but truth be told it may have to wait a week , dealing with 16 foot long boards may just be a two person job.
Back to my headboard project, I used the super cheap OSB or chipboard plywood , had my Home Depot associate cut down the sheet to the width I needed which was 56" for the double bed. I had it cut down in height to 42", this fit perfectly into the back of my car, after I took it back in to have it trimmed down to the 42" from 48". It turned out to be the perfect height after all.
So I took it home and use my paper template that I made for a headboard I made way back when, I know I should insert the old post link but I'm so busy and a little too lazy to do that right now, apologies.
I used the jig saw to cut the oh so curvy stylish corners. Ok here it is.
Off Sophie and I went to choose the fabric and to pick up the foam and batting.
OK here is the thing about foam , it is pricey , but you must have foam I think . To cover this headboard with upholstery grade 2" foam would be $70.99 , that is a bit much for me. So here is what I did , I went to Canadian tire and went to the camping section and found this foam,   , it is perfect. I used the 24" wide version. My good friend has used this same foam for her headboard so I knew it was right. Then off to the fabric store for batting and fabric. Sophie chose this white fabric , I think it will look so pretty with the light lilac shade she has selected for her walls. For the nails I learned the hard way that nail strips work way way better than individual nails , I picked those up here,41306,41324&ap=1 I used the simple chrome.
So quick and easy.
We then went out and got a great cheap box spring from our favorite bed store , Sleep Factory and after getting a bed skirt we had a completely lovely bed for Sophie. The accent pillow with the butterfly we picked up at Homesense.
The bedding is from Ikea and cost $14.99, it is a duvet cover set.
Now if we could find a chandelier be-fitting this bedroom we would be so happy. But for now I celebrate the completed bed.


Pine Tree Home said...

This turned out great. Love the idea of using the foam from the camping section. Great price saver.

Inspire Me Heather said...

It does look beautiful - nice job!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

You are so smart Chris - brilliant idea for the foam! Sophie's room is so cute already. It came together quickly!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

It looks fabulous. I love your design and the curves are lovely. Beautiful bed. Hugs, Marty

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Sophie's bed turned out so well! What a beautiful start to her room. Love the pillows!

Lynda said...

Love your blog... long time lurker from Germany. I have been wanting to make a headboard for my bed forever.. but am unsure how to mount it on to the wall. How did you do that? You are really clever.. I have told many people about your 'kitchen island' building...!

Just Beachy said...

Lynda I used these,40914,50630&ap=1
I made sure to mount it onto screws that I made sure were in studs.


So pretty, Chris!


Susan said...

How pretty! I would have been nervous about using white fabric for a child's headboard, but I guess it can be re-covered if need be!

You did a great job. I think I need a jigsaw!