Tuesday, January 5, 2010

putting a spin on things

The new view ...
Before this was the view of the kitchen island from the dining room , frosted glass doors , I couldn't stop myself from spinning things around a little .

I have been wondering what it would be like to flip the kitchen island around , it has always faced away from the television , I just needed to try it to see if it would be good.





The kids are always dragging the stools over to the computer area , maybe this way the stools will work better for this purpose , more kids can view the games and computer activities, let's hope.
Only time will tell if this is a better design for the kitchen , so far so good.



It must have been quite a sight seeing me slowly spin this monster of an island around , because of the over hang it is making this area feel more spacious , gotta love that .


I also plan on removing the panel moulding from the ends of the island and replacing it with beadboard , the panel moulding is nice but does catch a lot of grime.



Before I had originally built the island with the stool side closest to the sliding glass doors.


I thought it would bother me to see the stools from the front living area , I was wrong. Luckily for me I never attached this island to the floor.


16 comments:

Autum said...

Isn't it great to be able to get a big impact change just by a little rearranging? No money involved. I love that your stools are all different! You have such a lovely kitchen.

Lou Cinda said...

I think it looks Fabulous!! LOVE that island! Your kitchen is so pretty!!!

Lou Cinda :)

Jenna said...

looks very nice :) i'm a huge fan of rearranging ~ i do it because i get bored, but yours definitely served a good purpose!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Your kitchen is just lovely!!! :)

Lynda said...

I have been reading and enjoying your blog for some time now. Your house is so beautiful and you are so talented. Love your kitchen island - and I think it's great you didn't tack your island down because now you have the freedom to switch things up!

cousin Deb said...

Love your kitchen! Good idea flipping the island.

Sheryl said...

Great idea to turn something around so it's more functional. Your kitchen is beautiful!

Jane said...

Not attaching the island was a brilliant idea. When you tire of the view...presto! it can change.

I love having the ability of moving things around and often do this...especially when my husband is traveling. He does, however, occasionally walk into things...lol.
Jane

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

It is great to get a new perspective ... with little effort or cost.

KarenB said...

Thanks for coming over to visit. I think I didn't LOVE the movie because there was way too much disrobing etc. . . I thought the date night at the bakery was wonderful. I'd love a date like that. Especially eating the chocolate croissants afterwards. Good job on the small change that makes a big difference in your kitchen. That's the benefit of doing things yourself, you know how to undo or change them around!

Karen

Katrina Chambers said...

What an impact some rearranging can do. I bet it still feels a little different.

Cindy said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Your Island would look good wherever it was facing. And to think that you do the work yourself! You are one amazing woman! Hugs, Cindy S.

Wanderluster said...

If there's anyone I can picture turning a huge island around by herself, its you! Looks great for no mone :)

Amanda said...

I cannot thank you enough for stopping by my blog and commenting because it brought me to yours and I simply cannot get enough! I love love love your kitchen! I regretfully passed up matchstick roll up shades at Lowe's tonight in "natural", like the ones above your sink, on clearance for $3.74. Yes, that's right. 3 dollars. 74 cents. Needless to say, I'm going right back first thing tomorrow morning! I'm headed back to browse through more of your blog and gorgeous home, don't mind if I do stalk a little. :)

Hope you stop back by to check out the coffee table once she has her homecoming.

Jen said...

Brilliant!

1 Frugal Queen said...

You know what, I love the way that it looks. What a great idea. I do like the fact that you did not bolt the island down. I love thinking outside the box ideas! Your kitchen is absolutely LOVELY!

LinkWithin

you might also like