Thursday, January 28, 2010

Girls Only Island Project

This island building project has been an all girl event , with plenty of nay saying from a few doubting boys , that is so annoying to hear some individuals question , the position of the island , the size of the island , how can you not second guess yourself when people keep asking if "you " think its too big , men!
Trust me its just right , and its in just the right location , it is a great addition to this kitchen .
Lisa has done all the work on this island ,a tiny bit of help from me, this is a lot of work , don't let me miss lead you , it is a lot of detail work , lots of little touches to take a basic box and make it into a real thing of beauty.

Open shelving for pretty cook books and display pieces.

The added storage and organization , what a bonus. Lovely simple brackets to support the over hang.

A gorgeous slab of oak butcher block.

Beautiful applied mouldings on each end and stool area. The light needs to be moved over just slightly , its sad that is not a simple task.


The toughest part was trying to decide on a paint finish , to glaze or not to glaze, painted cabinets need occasional touch ups , I call them "touch up Tuesdays" now a all over glaze finish touch up would mean starting over , you can not touch up a glaze rubbed finish , so Lisa decided to keep the overall creamy white color and hi light the profile with just a touch of glaze , what a big job for Lisa , but she has done an amazing job on this island , I can't wait to show you it all completed , the doors and hardware installed , the drapes hung on the doors behind , it is going to look fabulous , and it will function so much better than a table with 4 chairs , this island provides , eating space , two new spacious cabinets for storage , three open shelves , and a large work surface , what a wonderful addition to this kitchen.

9 comments:

Deb said...

Looks great so far!

anneoverbeek.blogspot.com said...

Guys just have to get their two cents in so they can feel like they've had some part in the process because their secretly feeling guilty they didn't ;) Way to go ladies! Can't wait to see the finished island.

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

They don't like to believe size matters .... but you want the island big.

Bridget said...

What if you just put a hook on the ceiling and attached the chain of the light to that so that you don't have to remove & re-install it? I have one above my dining room table & it works great.
Great job on the island by the way, love it!

Nina Diane said...

I think it is fabulous! Will you come to my house and build me one...please

The Weathered Cottage said...

beautiful!

Sandra said...

It looks like a custom job done by someone who has been doing it for years, great work! Love the open display shelf. Any doubts about size just confirm you have the correct clearances around the island by the National Kitchen and Bath Association guidelines and then you have no worries!

Sandra

vicki said...

Chris,

I am waiting for your BOOK!! Get to work girl. We all need plans, colors, patterns, etc. from your wonderful home!! I know many of us would buy it and use it!! I would love the plans and measurements, materials for the island you just finished, the cornice, blackboard, slipcovered chairs, headboards, I can go on and on...

Let me know when its published along with pictures of your beautuful home!!! All the best, and keep up the inspiration. Vicki

Laurie1024 said...

I love how this looms! It woulnt have occured to me to build my own island! I love too that the two of you built it together. I'm a single woman who dabbles in DYI. The guys at the hardware store look at me like I'm crazy!