Thursday, December 24, 2009

Sad day yesterday

I bought this beautiful cake stand many years ago , it is my most favorite item in the kitchen by far , it makes everything look yummy and beautiful , well it was a sad day yesterday when I went into the cupboard to get it out and found this sad sad sight , I yelled and nearly cried , "why me" I know I am fortunate that is all that I have to bring me nearly to tears , but it did .
This is not the only thing to be broken lately , things seems to be getting destroyed in droves lately , last week alone my Oster beehive blender was broken , my iron was knocked off the ironing board by careless maneuvering and the foot broken so now although it works it is a hazard , and my mixer , my crock pot and now this , feeling a little cursed.

Of course none of these things were broken by me but by an unnamed single member of my family , years back it was my husband who used to break my precious finds , he has since become much more careful and he hasn't broken a thing in years , although he did wash a barfed on slipcover cushion cover in WARM water yesterday , so maybe it won't fit , we will soon see if it still fits, cross your fingers.

In remembrance of my broken green cake stand I chose green for the color of this recent batch of sugar cookies , such a pretty shade , don't you think ?





This is how I ice my cookies , I pipe the shape just in from the edge of the cookies , this allows me to flood the cookie with icing.

Then I sloppily fill in the center with a generous amount of icing , using the tip I can guide the icing into any empty spaces.


After I let the icing set I added another layer of icing , doubly sweet.


I went out to Homesense in search of a new cake stand , didn't find the one I wanted , I will keep searching , but I did find a lovely double decker stand , which will be painted SOON.


I also picked up this diner style cake stand which was on sale with this glass lid , they can't break this one right ?



Have a very Merry Christmas , see you soon.

12 comments:

cousin Deb said...

I feel your pain. That was a gorgeous cake stand. Happy hunting for a new one. Merry Christmas!

Charmaine @ randalswife said...

Long time reader here who just had to finally comment... Sad, sad day. I would have cried. I have a turquoise cake stand that I love and adore. Your stand looked to not have too many pieces, did you try gluing it back together?

Arlene said...

I'm sorry about your beloved cake stand. I have looked for years for an inexpensive green jadite cake stand. Also. my iron just got knocked off the ironing board and lost a leg. Now it won't hold water. It leaks everywhere. Maybe santa will be bring me a new one. Merry Christmas!

Chad and Kristen @ The Tomato Vine said...

that's so sad! you'll just have to go shopping next year for an even better one :) Merry Christmas!

♥Amber Filkins♥ said...

Oh, so sorry!!!! I cannot believe that all of those things have broken lately!

On a different note, those cookies look perfect!! Wow! I need to learn to make sugar cookies as well as you do. Beautiful.

Merry Christmas!

Wanderluster said...

All the more reason to shop for a new cake stand to lift your spirits! Merry Christmas to you & your family Chris!

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

Merry Christmas sweetie. May the days ahead be filled with nothing but great joys.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

I hear ya, my Shaun has broken more dishes in the last year than I ever have in the 10 years I've had my own dishes! I love your temporary fix, though!

limefreckle said...

It's a drag when your favourite things break.....but ever since I started doing mosaics, I don't seem to get so upset anymore....I just pack up my favourite broken pieces to be used in a mosaic project! I've got a few things down the basement that I need to get started on! Take up mosaics, and you'll have a different outlook on broken china!

Its So Very Cheri said...

i am so sorry. I've lost so many special treasures over the years.
Maybe you could use the broken pieces to do a mosaic mirror or a outer layer of a tray so you don't just have to pitch it.
Cheri

groovyinclinations said...

I'm back for more of your bloggie! I love it. I'm so sorry about your cake stand. It was lovely. Set your ebay searches to check every day for just the right one. boo hoo. You've done well with your substitutes tho!

Anonymous4223 said...

Mosser glass still makes these cake stands, for about $30. Check ebay, they appear frequently!

LinkWithin

you might also like