Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cedar shakes

I have been waiting to show you all how the bunkie is coming along , it is slow going right now , with limited time and with the hot humid weather I have been taking my time ... I have been focusing on the front of the bunkie since that is our new view.It will look great with a little porch across the front , next year maybe we will get to that.
Isn't it looking so cute , I love it , just a few more pieces of cedar for me to finish in the peak , this is very fussy work , then I will stain it all a soft muted grey , then onto the roof and eaves.
Cedar shakes from what I have found locally come in two grades readily available , the one on the left is the king of cedars , it is fine and deep dark natural cedar colour , it is about 5 times the price of the cedar on the right , which I am using , I am staining my cedar so no need to over spend here . I find my New Brunswick cedar at Lowe's for $15.00 a bundle , I can not beat that and I have had great success with cladding exterior accents on the main house , we love the charm it adds.
I make sure to choose a bundle with nice wide pieces , take the time to be a little picky here , it is worth the effort , then I sorted the shakes for easier selection , I am just a novice at shingling so things aren't perfect but I am as always ok with imperfection.
The garden is filling in nicely , I am craving more new plants , it has become some what of a passion , from detesting gardening to loving it , it is a test in patience and effort.
I am hoping to find a great tree for this corner where the playhouse used to be , doesn't look like such an empty corner anymore does it ?

Loving all the beautiful hostas my friend has handed down to me , I'm just waiting on my brown eyed susan's to start blooming some time soon.
Hope your having a happy summer .

21 comments:

Angela said...

It looks so good. I love it!

Rambling Renovators said...

Can I move into your bunkie?? Its looking seriously charming. Love the cedar shakes.

Jake said...

I said you could build 10-bunkins at my house *when those people was whining about your buinkies*...I lied...You can build 20. :)

I'm loving it!!!

Jake's a Girl.

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

Looks GREAT!!

Rebecca Watson said...

everything looks soo great, i am totally jealous!! I LOVE IT!!

WhiteWhispers2u said...

It's looking like a regular old lil Beach Cottage.So excited for you~Cheers Kim

Ms. Bake-it said...

It is looking good! I love cedar shakes and I think it is a great addition to the bunkie. Your garden is also coming along quite nicely.

~ Tracy

kerrie of sea cottage said...

Wow it's big! And so beachy. Love it. I have to tell you why I haven't been visiting much anymore...you have so much advertizing on here now that it slows everything down and makes it difficult to see your beautiful posts. I hope you understand. ox

Pine Tree Home said...

So beautiful. Keep at it. It is coming along nicely.

designchic said...

It looks amazing. There is nothing I love more than cedar shakes...adds charm and character to any space. Thrilled to find and follow your blog!!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Oh this is going to be PERFECT! So cute! I wanna come live in it. :) It oozes with charm.

Inka Smith said...

Looks adorable.
Inka

Lauren said...

I am so jealous of your new bunkie! It is gorgeous! I am plotting and planning as to how I can get some sort of bunkie on my postage stamp sized lot! I know my neighbors would freak out!

Cathy said...

Love it!!

{{Big Hugs}}

Cathy

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Chris,
I just saw you on Steven & Chris today!! Colby featured your home and all of your do it herself projects!! Your home is so cozy and relaxing...beautiful.
The bunkie, LOVE those cedar shakes!! May I ask you the paint colour of the french entry door into the bunkie?

I'm your newest folllower as well! Have a great weekend!!
All the Best,
Christine

Wendy said...

Love the cedar shakes! It's coming along so great, congrats!

michelle said...

Your bunkie is looking amazing and I love the cedar shakes. You guys have really done an amazing job on this.

Omi S. and her dog, Bender Oak Cannon said...

This is so pretty! I just bought my first home, and while money's a little tight moving in, I'm going to remember this and maybe I can try to pull this off on my little detached office. Thanks for sharing!

lifeinredshoes said...

Given enough space, time, and materials...YOU COULD RULE THE WORLD!!!
Love it all :)

FLOWERSHOPGURL said...

Hi Chris, My husband and I recently bought a cute cottage on a lagoon in NJ. We have recently talked about buying a large cottage looking shed and placing it on our property to use as a bunkie. I love that you are building your own and putting your touches on it. Would you care to share what it would cost to build as opposed to purchasing a premade one? I can't wait to see your finished bunkie, may I make a reservation for a weekend stay, lol! I hope you have a great evening!
Hugz,
Kim

Aubrey Mullins said...

You have a very cute place! ‘Just Beachy’ perfectly describes it! :D The shakes and the trim create some sort of a summer-y ambiance. How did it look after the staining? Was it as bright as this with the soft muted gray coat? Well, I think it’s more important that the whole exterior is protected from the elements. :) -->Aubrey