Monday, May 31, 2010

Walk for Muscular Dystrophy



My older brother and mother and I joined my younger brother for his first MD {Muscular Dystrophy }walk , we are going to make this a yearly event from now on , this local walk raised over $40,000.00 , which is amazing ,in only 2 days we raised $170.00 thanks to our family and friends, next year we will start fundraising much earlier , I didn't know about this walk until I read an article in the paper a few days earlier.
It was a nice time spent at the lake participating in a great cause.
I should probably mention my younger brother Brad pictured with me does actually have Muscular Dystrophy , he has Beckers MD , when he was young it was obvious things were not quite right , Brad walked like others but later he had a "different gait" and when he tried to run he would always fall it was like his legs were not made for running , he would always laugh it off , of course the doctors brushed it off , but my mom pushed on and finally at 10 years he was diagnosed with Beckers which is thankfully the mildest form of Muscular Dystrophy , they told us that he would be in a wheel chair by the age of 20 , he is now 34 and still not in a wheel chair , pushing his limits . I admire his strength and courage. You can read his story here at My Beckers Story

5 comments:

Jen said...

That's amazing && Thank You! I have a friend who has a 3 year old boy with MD. I am hoping these walks will fund the way for a cure so the MD folks can have a regular, normal life.

Jojo said...

What a great thing to do as a family.

Lauren said...

haThanks for sharing about your brother with Becker's. My brother in law, Charlie, has Duchenne's MD, which is the worst form. He is 14 years old, and is wheelchaired. What a blessing he is to our family! Thanks for walking to support research, for this awful disease.

T said...

Good for you!!! I am so proud

Sara Walker said...

I love reading your blog! I'm happy to hear you are a part of the cause to fight Muscular Dystrophy! My nephew, Beau, is 5 and has Duchenne's...the most severe kind.