Monday, May 18, 2009

Poop composter

I finally got my poop composter , now this little composter will NOT make usable soil but dispose and minimize the poop that my pooches create.
I took the plastic poop garbage can I had , drilled holes all around .


After the holes were in my husband sawed off the bottom of the can { so that when it is time to cover over the hole full of poop compost the can can be removed and hopefully re-used again}






The hole was dug to create a cavity just deep enough to leave the can and lid about flush with the earth.
I started to use it right away , all you need is septic tank enzymes and that should do it , the enzymes should consume part of the poop and lessen the quantity over time , you can also add some grass clippings.
The reason I decided to try this method was becasue of the plastic bags , I have been so proud of our community seeing customers entering the stores re-usable canvas bags in hand for , especially now that they charge 5 cents per bag to deter people from using them and to lower the waste caused by plastic bags .
The only reason I used plastic bags was to pick up the poop, this needed to stop , I found this new option which solves my problem , I am no longer contributing to the plastic bag problem , this makes me happy .
I figure that I have now eliminated the used of 1600 plastic bags a year , and if I were to have to pay for those bags to pick up the dootie that would have cost me $80.00 a year , this new method cost me $8.00 for the enzymes , it is a win win .




5 comments:

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Ummmm... Cool?

Poop happens. LOL

Wendy said...

I love this idea! We may have to try it.

Joanna said...

Awesome idea! We may need to do this too.

MeganSloan said...

Cool idea. I am terrible at picking up the dog poop in our yard but with a baby on the way, I need to change, especially once she grows up and starts wanting to play in our back yard. Would adding some worms help too?

Kim said...

Smart Smart.

LinkWithin

you might also like