Saturday, January 19, 2013

Adding drapes to warm up the space

 When most rooms have 3 or four windows it becomes quite a project adding drapes to a given room. Four curtain rods and four sets of drapes can really add up in no time.
Oh well what can I say my house has a lot of windows.
I picked up off white Ritva drapes from Ikea for $29 a pair , I know what a bargain right!
This is how I like drapes to be installed , no ties or hold backs, no strange location of the drapes , drapes should frame the window NOT BLOCK the window , you want the light to come in , shades or blinds can give you privacy and light control. Drapes just sit still and are pretty. They add softness and warmth to a room.
 I also found an equally good deal on drapery rods , $27 a rod set from Home depot , they are the Martha Stewart black beehive rods and finials.
 I install my rods at least 4" ( this works well with the Ritva drapes length) above the casing and each rod extends out 8". This isn't always possible depending on where your walls are located but it is a good rule of thumb that I find typically gives a great result which is adding height and framing the window.

Looky here! I went to see what a new thrift store had to offer , well turns out nothing much until I spied these two beautiful lamps for $10 each , no lamps shades but still a great deal. They are in perfect condition and have a crackle finish. I was so happy to find such nice lamps and the right scale for the dining room.

Have a happy weekend, it sure is cold outside , feels like a weekend to hunker down and laze around....

OH yeah I have some exciting news to share. Style at Home is coming soon to photograph my kitchen , this is a real thrill ! I have always dreamt of having my design in Style at Home....

19 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Great tutorial and the drapes look gorgeous. Congrats on the magazine shoot too. How exciting for sure. Hugs, Marty

Michelle said...

That is such exciting news Chris! I am not surprised either. Your home is beautiful.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

That's such good news that Style at Home is going to shoot your kitchen. I was hoping someone would pick it up for a magazine soon as it is beautiful. I love how finished the windows look with drapes on either side and great find on the lamps.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Ooh Style at Home. Bravo! Your kitchen will look stellar.

Love your thrift find. Lamps add so much character to a room

Sarah said...

Great score on the lamps! I love it when a visit to the thrift shops results in the perfect find!

Alisa D. said...

Congrats on Style at Home! You deserve to have all your hard work highlighted. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Alex said...

Hi Chris,

Just found you Blog and LOVED your 1st home.I have a similar home in Brooklin.
Your main bathroom with the framed mirror is exactly my style.
Can you forward DIY instructions?
Loved your shed! Did you need a building permit for this?
Lastly can you share the source for your pair of diningroom lamps?
I look forward to your kitchen in Style At Home. It will be nice to see real solutions that don't cost 10s of thousands to implement.Many thanks,
Alex

Just Beachy said...

Alex , check out this link http://chriskauffman.blogspot.ca/2012/10/plugging-along-with-lots-of-progress.html?m=1
For the bathroom upgrades . We did not need a permit for the bunkie guest house as it was under 100 sq feet , check your local building codes for permit info . The thrift shop was on Simcoe street Oshawa .
Thanks for stopping by
Chris

Cynthia said...

So, exciting, to have Style at Home come!!! What a dream, and it will look fab!
Drapes make such a big difference to any room. I haven't posted in so long, but hope to again soon, have been busy!

Cindy.

Alex said...

Thanks Chris,

I sometimes check out Bibles for Missions 1251 Simcoe North. You are probably aware of Whitby's Salvation Army thrift Store 311Brock St. North. A favorite haunt of mine and of course Michael Penney on Mary Street.
Enjoy your new home.
Yes I will need a building permit as my Bunkie needs to be larger for my office. Thanks for the info re your fab bathroom.
My project for the Spring!
take care,
Alex:)

modern jane said...

That's very exciting news! Can't wait to see it! Would you mind telling me the source for the light fixture in this post? I really like it:)

ajm5530 said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much for the amazing drapes tutorial! Just what I needed :)
Congratulations on the Style at Home shoot. Do you know what month the issue will come out yet?

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Congrats on the Style at Home feature! I love those Ikea drapes too.

Brant Cookies said...

Wow that's exciting news, can't wait to see the magazine! I keep dreaming my husband will one day build me an island like yours! LOL

Style Shack said...

I love the sophisticated simplicity of the drapes. I am so jealous of your $10 lamps!!!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

The drapes look great Chris. Congrats on the upcoming Style at Home photo shoot. I will look forward to seeing it.

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Chris ... I love the light fixture in this room. Where did you get it?

Shannon said...

Love the addition of drapes!!!
xo,
Shannon

Roxie Tenner said...

“...drapes should frame the window NOT BLOCK the window...” - This is a good reminedr because I think this is where most people are making mistakes. In choosing draperies we always have to consider all the small details and fit it in the big picture, just like what you want for your room. Roxie Tenner @ WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com