Thursday, June 29, 2017

what's happening in the country...?


Moving to the country has been truly a learning experience...we were beyond naive about many country living aspects....I suppose that is to be expected since we were suburbs born and raised all our lives...we are still getting settled and getting this house together...
we actually believed that we had nothing to do but improve this house design wise...lol that was mistake number 1....looks can be deceiving...so very early on we figured out we are on a very different journey than we had thought we were on...its been rough a lot of the time...and I won't get into that but maybe I will write a book one day, How NOT to move to the country...what I have learned...
although there have been many challenges and very expensive problems it is lovely here...I really do love our location...sadly we went from a very miserable winter to a very crappy wet spring and so far summer....we could really use some dry weather....I'm hoping the weather will improve soon.
Our neighbours have really welcomed us with open arms even these two beauties Jasper and Tori...which we really appreciate as many people in the village have been here for generations...some of the amazing perks are the fresh farm eggs....you just can't go back to grocery store eggs after enjoying fresh eggs...and the animals...oh so many animals....I have seen a deer...opossum...fisher cat and 
cows....
these cows were wandering the road and I was the first on the scene...
not knowing what to do to herd these beauties back in through the gate they snuck out of I tried clapping and wouldn't you know it, it worked...


 Part of the draw to move to this house was to start women's workshops....teaching women most of which are novices, sharing my knowledge and building new skills with these ladies has been so amazing..
I started out with a partner but things didn't work out and things are so much better on my own as it should have been, my good friend is helping me when we need and extra expert on hand, it has been an amazing journey to start White Wood Workshops, it is a positive, no pressure environment to learn new skills and to build something you will proudly display or use in your home...

 So many amazingly beautiful farmhouse clocks...one of my most popular workshops


fireside lounging while the paint dries...


As well as building custom pieces for clients and running workshops I have tried to squeeze in some of my own home improvements....

With having so many many improvement projects that all need our attention the hardest part has been to decide where to focus my attention....we have a kitchen to be re-designed but that functions...a room that needs to be removed...yep removed...I need an emoji here ...new drywall that needs painting in the basement due to flooding....a garage that needs finishing, a bar that needs a complete re-design...windows that will be replaced...and wainscotting that needs painting and floors that need sanding and a front entry that really doesn't work...at all...and and and...

so I am starting there...the closet is gutted and it will get the makeover it needs...
as many shelves as I can squeeze in for shoes...so many shoes...I'm fed up with tripping on shoes....

I will add ship lap and hooks, because hooks work for us...and doors, we will install wood antiqued doors which will allow me to add a mirror and additional storage on the backside of the one door....it's all about functional storage.
I have decided to keep the existing tile and to add more instead of removing it...I'm going to keep things simple and not fix what isn't broken... there is enough broken afterall...
 I removed the glass sliders that were here that I hated!!! really hated...I replaced the thin flat stock trim with a heavier trim around the door...

Here are some fun hooks...I haven't decided quite what style of hooks I will install...I better get on that I suppose....I will go with something classic and functional, these are some cute options...
 I will be using these tags in the closet because I just love this detail...I used them in my last closet makeover link 
Here is a photo of our last closet that I tuned into a super functional space...


I finally started the enormous task of priming and painting the wainscoting....yikes what a job...but we are loving the lighter look...I have lots of new gorgeous baseboard from Metrie they were kind enough to partner with me on this enormous trim project...it will require a lot of painting but it will make a world of difference to our new home...I selected this french curves scene II as it best complimented our 140 year old trim, I went with poplar because it paints so beautifully, I am really looking forward to seeing it all come together.






I designed some farmhouse style tees to represent my business brand...amazing what you can do thanks to vista print.

 Speaking of my work I should show you my latest piece...this table is so big and gorgeous if I do say so I have named it Monroe, it was my most fun build to date, I am now building a sideboard to match...check out my facebook page here if you are local and would like to have something made.

So there you have it, that is what is going on around the old homestead...lots or everything, work, diy, workshops, new trim...and lots of painting...this is the life of a diy blogger I suppose...always busy....its good.
Bye for now.