Friday, January 11, 2013

50% paint color

Ok up until this week I have only heard of people using paint colors at 50%, now what does that mean ? Well when a color is made using universal tints by a computer at a paint counter it is done is measured out predetermined amounts. When you ask for 50% strength of a color they punch that into the computer.
 Let's say your color requires 40 yellow 30 blue and 20 black for the purposes of example only , 50% of that color would be 20 yellow 15 blue and 10 black added to a can of untinted paint. That's it .
For me I loved the color and tone of BM revere pewter but it seemed too dark for the look I wanted so I thought maybe at 50% strength it would be perfect , it seemed a better option than trying to find a totally different color.
So if you like a color but think its too dark or deep or bright , try it out at 50% , I swear they will know what your asking for at the paint desk.

5 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I actually asked about this at my local Sherwin Williams store last summer and the guy looked at me like I was a crazy woman. He had some excuse about why it wouldn't work so I gave up. But I was pretty sure that if I went back on a different day, I could find a different sales person who would know exactly what I was talking about. Glad it worked out for you!

JeanneW said...

I love using the 50% option. Many designers have a rule of lightening the ceiling color 50% of the wall to make the ceiling feel taller and an almost imperceptable touch brighter. I once asked why and was given an explanation about shadows on the ceiling and such. In any case I have followed this rule in all my rooms and the result is especially lovely when one has white crown moulding. My family room's wall color is 50% lighter than the original, which led my ceiling to be 75% lighter.

marlenefit said...

Hi I think Home Depot is the best place for this. They can do 25, 50, 75. That is my go to place for paint.

Katherines Corner said...

Looks great. Our Ikea is 2 hours away! Hugs

paperjunk-lc said...

This is great information. Thanks so much for sharing.