Thursday, November 8, 2012

How I built a DIY wood counter top

 I decided to make my own counter for my laundry room . I started with 2"x3"x8' boards of knotty pine.
The other options I considered were a pre made Ikea butcher block for $249.00 which is beautiful and that I love but I wanted to spend less . Second option was laminate which would have been around $100.00 for an 8 ft length. Obviously stone of metal for a lot more...I wanted an affordable option and a good fresh DIY option.Creating my own counter allowed me to make the exact size I wanted which turns out to be 2" deeper than standard counter options.
 Carpenters glue and bar clamps over night.
The next morning I had a roughly constructed board. 
I used a belt sander to smooth the surface and then the bottom. I wanted to make sure it would sit nicely onto the cabinets I was building. 

 I got a beautiful smooth finish after lots of sanding.
 I pulled out a router that had been never used but was at least 12 years old. I got a roman ogee bit and tried routering....it turned out just as I hoped, not perfect but sure pretty. Then I cut a hole for my sink and routered that also.
 I stained it with oil stain, Varathane kona , three coats and I achieved a rich dark finish...this picture I took after two coats .

 This is the third coat of stain no top coat. Then I used Varathane floor sealer and did three coats of that in satin.
 I bought a sink off of Kijiji for $50.00 never used. It is a self rimming sink but I really wanted an undermount  
so I did a little research and went for it . I was told to use just silicone...so far so good , I used pressure just like the professionals do , I'm sure! bricks and a paint can of course.
I let it set for 24 hours and then added a couple of pieces of wood just as a little extra support, no pic of that sorry.
I am so happy with the final result , and it cost a whopping $135.00 including the sink....

I installed the faucet yesterday after drilling a hole , that takes a while through 2" of counter and that is with soft wood , I can only imagine drilling that hole through oak....

I just need to get the cabinets up and into place and have my plumber back in to make it all work.
I am thinking before I do that I want to add under cabinet lighting , I don't like it for kitchens , just not for me but I think it might be great in the laundry room for night since we use that room for the doggies....we will see.
 So what do you think , was it a good idea to build a counter ? would you try this project? It was about a 7 out of 10 on a difficulty scale I would say.

14 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh my word, it is amazing and I love the edge you gave it too. What a great job, yes, I would love it. Hugs, Marty

Sarah said...

This looks fabulous!

Amazing work! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm in the middle of renovating my laundry room and you have given me lots of food for thought. I would definitely try this project if I already owned those nice clamps and router that you have. I wonder if you can rent them otherwise buying the tools new would add $$$ to the total cost.

My only concern would be to make sure there is extra varnish and/or silicone above and below the wood around the sink so moisture doesn't seep in between the boards and warp them - but I'm sure you have already taken care of that :D

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

You are totally inspiring. There isn't a project you can't tackle. It is amazing to see your home come together.
Sharon

Ruth said...

Beautiful and you are always full of inspiration!!

White Weathered Hutch, said...

Looks great to me!!

Just Beachy said...

Monica,
I think it would work fine for a kitchen , you would just have to use waterlox to make sure it stands up over the long haul. As well since its pine it will dent and age easily so as long as you are alright with that I would go ahead, or you could use a harder wood.
Good luck ,
Chris

Linenqueen said...

How 'bout you come to Charlottesville Virginia and make one for me! Ann

Brant Cookies said...

Wow I can't wait to see the end results, I'm sure it will be stunning. I just spray painted brackets hot pink, that's my degree of skill. I pass your great ideas on to my husband! LOL

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

Amazing! That stain is such a beautiful color.

Lilibet said...

erm... you did that? That is incredible. You were able to build your own butcherblock counter with a cut-out for the sink???? That is AMAZING!

CKblondie said...

This is amazing, it looks great! :-) I am wondering how your 'undermount' sink has held up? I would love to do that, but am definitely a little scared! haha!

Just Beachy said...

The sink is holding up just fine , no problems at all ! I have filled buckets for washing the flooring there without any problems at all !

Chelle said...

You mention in one of the above comments that you should use waterlox if used in a kitchen. Might be a dumb question, but is that to be used in place of the stain and finish you used or in addition to? We just bought all the lumber to do wood counters in our kitchen and I am unsure of the best way to finish them. The longer I spend researching it the more confused I'm becoming. Seems like everyone has a strong opinion as to what the best way is. Any insight would be great!

Tanya from Dans le Townhouse said...

Wow!! Your counter looks incredible - I love the dark stain and the undermount installation of the sink is perfect.

LinkWithin

you might also like