Monday, October 29, 2012

Plugging along with lot's of progress and pretty details

 Last week was truly busy with lots of home projects , I am happy to say I wrapped up the master bath updates as of late Friday night. I finished off the furniture foot detail I had planned for the vanity. What a difference this pretty simple projects makes.
 Before without feet ...

 I also after much searching found some art for the bathroom , this print I found at Winners. It reminded me of our trip to Mexico , stormy beach which we experienced there, believe it or not it conjures up fond memories. This print came with a black frame with a reveal gap around it that I found strange so I simply removed the outer frame. I was happy to find a piece that had the color of my vanitiy in it also , that was a bonus.
 I was asked to explain how I attached the frame to my existing mirror. Well there are lots of tutorials out there but I will explain how I did install this extra wide frame. I decided to use construction adhesive to the mirror to attach the frame. I started with the bottom piece , I placed four long screws just below the mirror to act as support to hold the wood in place while the adhesive dried. I added the tape to hold the wood in place while it dried. After 4 hours the adhesive was set up enough to hold the wood solidly. I added the side pieces and leveled everything . After several more hours I attached the top piece of the frame. I painted everything and trimmed it all before I attached anything as well as the back of the wood, because of the reflection. That was it , pretty simple. I didn't remove the clips and they didn't pose a problem.
 I then moved on to creating furniture detail feet for the vanity.
 Creating these is pretty self explanatory from this photo.


 Wondering what this is? Well it was a pile of boards that I glued and laminated together...to create a wood counter top for my laundry room. I could have just bought a butcher block from Ikea but I thought what if I can make my own? It worked out . I used a belt sander to get an incredibly smooth finish...I then routered a beautiful roman ogee edge. I am going to install a under mount sink and I am planning on routering that cut out too. Exciting !!!! Now that I have learned how to do this the possibilities are endless.

Before the sanding started...
After a lot of sanding...

So now that it's Monday I will work on cutting out the sink hole , finishing the staining and sealing . Then moving onto building a sink cabinet and support for the counter, moving onto tiling the laundry baksplash. We will see how productive this coming week will be , I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

Looking soooooo good, Chris. Can`t wait to see more.

S
xo

Cynthia said...

Love it! The feet look great on your vanity!

Cindy

Nancy said...

Looks great! I made a similar mirror frame with Howe casing from Lowes and used wexactly the same method! I think my vanity is going to need some "feet" as well. It really does make a difference! One question...are they nailed or glued to the vanity or are they free standing?

Nancy W.

Ford Interiors said...

Kris,

Thanks so much for the detailed photos on the vanity feet - I had seen the kitchen photos where you used that idea as well, and it adds such a beautiful custom look - I am going to try this in my own kitchen and bath! I enjoy your blog very much! Your home is beautiful!

Jake said...

Looks great and Wow! is everything coming along so well.

I think i'm going to try something like this on my laundry room cabinets. Try being the operative word.

-caroline- said...

I found you via centsational girl... I'm loving this! We want new countertops for our kitchen and I really don't want to put the money down.

We were thinking ikea butcherblock until I saw this. Can you give more details [wood type, cuts, and glue?]

Do you think this would be sufficient for the abuse a kitchen takes?

Thanks!

LinkWithin

you might also like