Sunday, April 26, 2015

Weekend bathroom update...how to frame a bathroom mirror


 I have been slowly but surely moving along with the bathroom updates in my youngest daughters bathroom...this week I built a frame for the mirror...it just finishes the mirror off.
 Here it is in my shop all ready for painting
 I used my kregjig to make a simple frame with pocket hole construction...a little bit of detail moulding and I had myself a simple frame.
 A lot of people were asking how to attach a frame to an existing mirror.It's easy I just cut up some strips of thin plywood, it is just slightly deeper than the frame and clips. Attach the strips to studs in the wall with a couple of screws.
 Then paint the frame and make sure to paint at least an inch of the back of the frame so that the reflection is the same color as the front of the frame.
 I just used my nail gun to attach the frame to the strips of plywood, filled the holes and touched up the paint....really, it is that easy. Waiting for the paint to dry was the longest process in this project.

 I also finally took out my sewing machine and hemmed these drapery panels I bought months ago for this bathroom...what a huge difference full length double panels make to this area. I find shower curtains so....wimpy, they are too short and not nearly as full as they should be...so I chose these seersucker white drapes. I had to buy two shower curtain rods one I installed as high as I could for the drapes and one just slightly lower for the liner, I had to also find a longer than average liner...I got it from Bed bath and beyond...it was actually so long I had to trim it a little bit but that was easy enough. The drapes I found at Homesense.

 Seersucker and subway tile...love
 I also got to the job of building the face frame for the vanity yesterday...next I will cut out and install a foot detail, if all goes well...then I will be adding drawers slides and building basic drawers. I still have to decide if I want to build the drawer fronts and doors or if I will just have them built by a local cabinet door company....I'm just not sure what the best decision is on that.
 Don't even get me started on what color to paint this vanity cabinet...Sophie said maybe white would be too much white, but is that even really a thing? Maybe light grey to go with the faux marble tile floor and real marble accents on the wall....actually the accent tile comes off a little grey especially in photos but it is white it's just not as white a white as the subway tile is...I kind of like that.
Now you are up to date if you are following along...thank you so much for stopping by.

No comments: