Wednesday, March 25, 2015

basement planning and primping around the house

 Things have been pretty quiet at home lately...we just hung around for spring break...I use the term spring break very loosely because it still feels like winter this year.
 Now that the kids are back in school I am trying to get the house back in shape. I came across this table on a classifieds app the other day for just $60 but I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it could go, we are pretty full as far as furniture goes...but we are starting to think about finishing our basement and I figured it could go down there when the time is right...but I gave it try up on the main floor first... turns out it looks pretty great right by the front door with a few adjustments...I just shopped the house and it all came together with a little time and effort $0 besides the table. It will look great when I finally get that wainscoting complete, hopefully really soon.

 It sure is easy to go back to my beachy ways with all the accessories I have around the house.


After saving up I finally dragged my butt out to Ikea and bought the white ottoman I have been wanting for some time...so happy with my purchase. 

While I was at Ikea I saw some of the new kitchen line, I was in love with this huge island with all the drawers...it was dreamy. Although I truly love my kitchen it's hard not to get sucked in when you see another amazing kitchen...I think that's one of the problems when you truly love interior design...there is always something new or different to fall in love with.
 After my little furniture re-arrangement I was inspired to map out this paneling today...this spot really needs some attention, this poor wall gets so beaten up. It's almost warm enough to get out to the garage and rip some MDF down to size and get some projects underway.

 Like I mentioned we have been thinking it would be nice to have a completed third level...we could use a media room, a small bar with a small fridge and a microwave, a washroom and a gym space as well as enclosed shop and furnace room for function and storage...here is what I have come up with just a quick sketch. I am envisioning this area to be kind of industrial contemporary with a traditional touch. Lots and lots of pot lights for sure.
inspiration photo
Wish list chair...we love a nest chair and it would be perfect for a media room.

inspiration photo

inspiration photo

 I love the idea of leaving the floors concrete and finishing them with a stain or etching finish...I would like to get a nice area rug for the media area but the rest of the space makes sense to keep concrete. I want the basement hard wearing and not precious, we have teens so...that makes sense.

inspiration photo
What do you think of a dark sprayed ceiling...I think this is actually a really reasonable option. I hate to lose any height so just painting it out black is a great option... but we'll see, at least we can spray it and if we need to add some insulation and close say the ceiling above the media room in we can always do that later.
inspiration photo
 I like these two small bar/kitchenette areas...I have some veneer brick I will be incorporating somewhere and I want some shiplap or planking for sure.
inspiration photo

I am going to see how much of the basement I can do myself I think we can handle some framing and finish trim the built ins and cabinetry as well as some tiling and perhaps some plumbing installations like sink faucet and maybe the toilet....but the rest I will leave to the professionals. Not to sure when this will get started but it is officially on the list now.
Should be interesting...although we would love to have an amazing backyard to enjoy it makes more sense to put some money and effort into finishing the basement as it can be used year round and honestly our yard can be used about 5-6 months a year...as well as for equity I think this is a safe bet to add another bathroom and two spaces that with little effort can become two additional bedrooms (the gym and the shop) which would could make this house a 6 bedroom 4.5 bath house.

We have never had a finished basement so this sounds like a fun project to me...a little scary too...

No comments: