Friday, April 12, 2013

transformation with wainscoting

Good morning. As I wait for the rain and freezing rain to settle so I can get back to this trim project I am working on at Ellen's this week I thought I would share it with you as well as most of my trim projects I have completed over the years. 
As you can see I have been adding an applied wainscoting with an extra little trim detail. So far I am 17.5 hours into the installation. It's not always a quick process but what a difference it makes.

Nothing transforms or elevates a space like trim. I really believe to get the best result in decorating , the way I like to , is to start with beautiful bones. I think that rooms should be beautiful empty, you will start off the decorating process ahead of the game and get a better layered and finished end result.



 This is my favorite new chair rail .
Varied panels add interest to a blank bit of wall and create a feature.

 Here is another recent project I completed, it was the finishing touch , it was a bit backwards ending with the trim , but as long as it got done it was all worth it.
 My last house where I learned all of my carpentry skills, I can't remember if I started on this trim or on the applied mouldings in the family room. Either way I loved them both. White moulding makes my hear sing.
 More of my last house.
 I adore and miss this panelled wall from my last house and the vaulted ceilings , I loved that house.
 This is the house where I am working now , Ellen's house . Do you remember her entry/mudroom. I love seeing how it functions over the years.
 How can I forget my beachy bedroom and the board and batten, it was so cottagey.
 My current homes main hall wainscotting still in progress.
 More of my current home.
 This image I captured on our moving day , it was a good bye old girl shot, such a pretty space.
 My laundry room, I used shoe moulding to create the panels and flipped a large baseboard to create a generous trim for lots of hooks.
My stair wainscoting.
 One of my first projects I tackled while my husband was out of town on a business trip.Applied wainscoting. How cute was little Sophie , this was taken three years ago or so when we had our first magazine photo shoot , what a cute shot.

So what do you think ? Do you love trim like I do ? Would you tackle this type of project yourself ? Would you love a ladies only carpentry 101 class to go to learn these skills? Just wondering...

21 comments:

Rachel said...

I love trim! Now if you just lived in North Carolina. :)

G said...

OMG yes to the ladies carpentry 101 class!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would travel from DC to take that class..... esp. to gain experience using a nail gun/compressor, miter saw, etc....

Jennifer Werneth said...

I would love to recreate your stair wainscoting for my stairs! and i would so take a carpentry course (but i live in fairhope, alabama). what tips would you give to those of us wanting to tackle wainscoting for the first time?

Michelle said...

We are going to put board and batten in our basement and possibly down the basement stairs, if that ever gets finished. I want to do something in my teeny laundry/mudroom, as well as my son's room. I have used a nail gun. My hubby likes to keep me away from some power tools. I tend to be a little accident prone. LOL

gracefulvintage said...

CARPENTRY 101.....
YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Jennifer Weathers said...

Yes please! I would love to know how to do this!

Angela said...

Chris, I would love to take your course and live close but still to far in Ottawa. However I do have a question. When you do the wood work on a wall how high up do you put the chair rail or trim on the top of the squares? Not sure what you call it but I hope you understand. Thanks

LauraJane said...

How do you get over the fear of the nail gun and the chop saw? I have both, and the mouldings I want to install, but am scare to (literally) pull the trigger!

Little Cottage on the Pond said...

I would love to learn how to do this!

marlenefit said...

Yes I love wainscoting and I have started doing it in my home only after seeing how pretty it looked in yours. I would love a carpentry 101 class. Hopefully something online since I'm in so. California :)

Just Beachy said...

Angela, 36" is a standard heigh.

Just Beachy said...

marlenefit, that is so nice to hear, thanks

Just Beachy said...

Jennifer Werneth, my advice would be to give it a try, use a level, draw out the dimensions onto the wall and best of all borrow of buy a compressor and small finish nail gun, and go for it.

Amy R. said...

Yes! I love trim! I have done some in my house after being inspired by your blog. I'd love to learn how to do more. I am dying to do my stairs like yours, but can't wrap my brain around how to figure the angles.
You do beautiful work!

Jenna said...

Oh, Chris!!! I wish I could fly you down to Florida to transform my space!!

Carpentry class? YES!!!

Laurayne said...

Chris, I would love and Ladies Onlt Carpentry 101 class and I am lucky enough to live right here in Parkridge! Just tell me when, where and what to bring! I'm there!!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

You are synonymous with wainscoting, trim and moulding. That's what I love most about your homes and the spaces you decorate.

Linda Scheller said...

I would love a carpentry 101 class! I have gotten so many ideas from your blog and others that I want to do at my own home. My husband can do it, but doesn't usually want to :-). Could you do a video tutorial????

Kay Konecna said...

I love trim! I wish I could do it myself. Last month I decided to remodel my kitchen but since I live in a studio and my kitchen is really tiny I gave up on trim on the kitchen island. Your pictures might have changed my mind though :) Have a lovely day Chris x

Kristie @ Comfy Cozy said...

Yes and double yes to a 101 class!!! I live in PA though so could it be an online thing...or maybe you should write a book with step by step instructions for all your beautiful projects. I'd buy it for sure!!! Heck, maybe I'd make the roadtrip for a live class!

Lauren -HCP said...

Also hoping you would do an online class or post it here. I've got a nail gun and miter saw, which I've only used to make a frame so far. Not sure how to start up my air compressor (hubby uses it), maybe I should read the manual:-) anything online you do would be so appreciated since I'm in Cleveland! I'm also big into painting rooms etc while the hubby is out of town, how cool would it be to surprise him with a molding project done! Take Care!