Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dealing with the deck

I know I'm a girl but I don't really like soaking in the tub , I find it too boring. So we made sure to add cable to the bathroom this time so I can chill out and watch something girly , but nothing about this tub is drawing me in just yet. The unfinished wall and the ugly floor tile that looks like it crawled up the side of the tub , I hate! So to me there was nothing pretty about this soaker tub in my master bathroom, well the fact that it is separate and large and has a nice window and most of all it isn't a corner tub and all that makes me very happy to have this tub. It was finally time to address this eye sore and to make it more functional.
 I started with framing the apron out with thin pieces of masonite I attached with no nails.
 The marble installer came by last Friday to install the deck pieces, two went in after a lot of fine tuning but the third and final front piece broke on a vein....dang it . After seeing the two side pieces in place I knew I wanted more marble , so I put together this pattern. The subway tile is from Home Depot and the little chicklet is from Lowe's.
 I first moved on to adding some bead board to the center panel and a little simple trim to cover the seam. Oh did I mention I installed and built in our jam cupboard into the wall in the bathroom to make it more seamless , it also tucked in about an inch closer to when it was free standing, then I trimmed it with the same baseboard.
 Bad blurry iphone pic but it shows what I accomplished today , backsplash...and oh my back . I just love it, that photo does not do it justice, it looks so gorgeous in real life.
So blurry , I will take better photos in the morning light. It is starting to look pretty , finally. I really enjoy installing wall tile , it's just the grouting I could skip.
I may become a bath girl after all , I'm still shopping for the right tv for the bathroom. We may have a tv problem...? nah we like our tv's , LED all the way.

Hopefully grass and grading tomorrow , they are toying with me.
Edit , here are some clear morning shots of the bathroom, not that you asked...lol





19 comments:

Michelle said...

This is so pretty. I love the marble and the little border through it. I am not a bath person either. I have a soaking tub and have probably used it maybe a dozen times in 8 years, maybe. I also want to rip the tile off the builder put on and do something prettier. I have for a while, but hubby is against it. :-/

Comeca Jones said...

Looks great so far!

Anna Williams said...

Love the pattern and the beadboard looks lovely too! I'm with you though - I find baths a bit boring :) What kind of girls are we hey? xx

Anna (My Design Ethos)

cathywhatisoldisnew said...

Wow, love the materials you used!

Pine Tree Home said...

From builder blah to ohhh, ahhhh. Great choice on the marble.

Rachel said...

I love the back splash. It definitely makes the space. And what a great idea to make your cabinet permanent. I am going to file that away for when we have our house.

How2home said...

It's looking really good! You chose a great backsplash! Are you planning to paint your bathroom?

Just Beachy said...

I am going to be painting the bathroom a soft watery greyish blue that is lighter but similar to the curtains.

Kristi said...

Fantastic job! You get so much done so quickly! I love the way you built in that cabinet also, now it just needs new knobs! :)

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

The marble is gorgeous. I love how it looks with the curtains.

a beach house in Montana said...

Live the marble I found a claw foot tub on classifieds for thirty five dollars score!!! I currently have a soaker tub but well exchange that for the claw foot I can't wait but it will take a couple of people to move it! I'm looking to make a skirt for my laundry room did you make yours? And how? Love the curtains in your master bath

a beach house in Montana said...

Live the marble I found a claw foot tub on classifieds for thirty five dollars score!!! I currently have a soaker tub but well exchange that for the claw foot I can't wait but it will take a couple of people to move it! I'm looking to make a skirt for my laundry room did you make yours? And how? Love the curtains in your master bath

Lisa said...

Hi Chris, it's my first time commenting...love your blog and all you accomplish!! Did you install the new tile and trim right over existing tile? That's how it looks, but I wasn't sure if tiling an existing tile deck would work...if it does, it's going on my to do list! Thanks! Lisa

Just Beachy said...

Yes Lisa the trim is attached to the tile with construction adhesive as well the marble on top of the deck is attached the same way.

Betty and Nancy said...

Love the marble! What a difference!

I am doing something similar in my bathroom with a wood front panel on the soaker tub, but I need to make it removable in case there is a plumbing problem. Do you have any tips for me? Can you access the underside of the faucet if you need to?

Again, a fabulous job!

Nancy W.

Katherines Corner said...

It looks terrific. Your hard work is showing! xo

How2home said...

Soft greyish blue sounds perfect for your bathroom! Can't wait to see more :) Keep us posted Chris!

groovyinclinations said...

Your projects are so amazing!! Nice work ~ again!!!


http://groovyinclinations.com

Unelmia said...

Very nice :)
It looks a little bit unfinished because the tiles end right where the tub ends. Mabye it would help if there would be a row of marble going down also?

unelmia-unelmia.blogspot.com