Saturday, April 21, 2012

Painting cabinets part two

BEFORE

AFTER

There are so many options when painting cabinets. You can use oil, if you can find it , or melamine paint but I always use LATEX . I most often use satin finish but I have also used semi-gloss. Once the paint has had time to cure it is quite durable. The satin finish minimizes any flaws and the grain in the oak that I am painting.
Although I wish that I had a large compressor and an air spray gun I used an angle paint brush for the details on the doors and a foam roller.
I do not over load the roller , I use long strokes over and over until it is a nice smooth finish and make sure to correct any mistakes before leaving it alone. Don't mess too much while applying latex paint , it dries very quickly...
After the primer the Zinsser 123 I apply two to three light coats of paint, making sure to allow ample time for drying. I am painting my doors in the basement and with as much light as I could find, the better the lighting the better the overall paint job.
 I have this old metal table frame that I am able to use as a painting stand , it helps prevent some back aches. For the other doors I have found these little bins to be the perfect stand to paint them on.
 I have found that these Rubbermaid containers are perfect for small roller and tray combo's, it keeps the paint fresh between coats, which can take several days. I use a baggie to cover the paint brush to avoid paint skin forming on the brush. It works quite well for the most part but once there is any issue with bits of dry paint forming on the brush or tray I will wash everything out.
For my cabinets that I am currently working on I am using Martha Stewart paint. I am a big fan of Martha paints , the colors are great and the coverage is superior to many other paints, I think I have tried most brands. I have used it on many occassions. I am not quite sure why Home Depot has stopped carrying it. First they had it at Canadian Tire and they discontinued and now Home Depot, I say a big boo.

So that's really all there is to it , I use latex paint in satin and apply two to three coats by brush for the details and foam roller and allow to dry before re-attaching the hinges. I just finished the final coat and I will wait till Tuesday to re-install the door on the one side of the kitchen. I can't wait to see it all together .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Australia and have never heard of latex paint.