Saturday, April 14, 2012

Crown moulding success

As I mentioned the other day , I wanted to learn crown moulding. This can be quite intimidating. I asked my cousin who is a contractor to show me . He came right over and gave me some tips and instructions , which left even more intimidated. But I bought some crown and after building a simple jig for my mitre saw and I was off to the races. And it worked !!! I did it , I couldn't be happier.

I figured it would be best to start my learning in the laundry room. I built and added a simple box cabinet to the far left there that I made out of MDF. I thought wrapping the whole thing with crown moulding would be a nice look . I love it . The outside corners were easier then the inside corners.
Lots of work still to be done, all the painting, bead board , tiling .
After completing the laundry room crown moulding I tackled the kitchen bulk head crown.
I can't believe I waited so long to try to learn this .
I am going to tackle sanding the cabinet doors today , fun times, as well lots of painting to do , floors to top coat , stairs to re-stain and top coat .
In other exciting news....I finally found the last puzzle piece to our kitchen, the range hood. There are so many options, we could have gone with a custom mill work style hood , or stainless steel pro style...we went pro style. I wanted to do something different from our last kitchen. I have loved the Houzz pic below of this classic kitchen. I am not normally a fan of the chimney style hood but one with these proportions just makes me swoon.
 I was so happy to find just the perfect hood yesterday after finding a whole lot more that were not right. We wanted clean lines not curves , it had to compliment our range. Most hoods I have come across are sold as the shell and then you have to add a blower , these are insanely expensive. So I'm really happy with our choice , especially since it is just like the one in the photo. 
GARY M.LANE traditional kitchen

Well there you have it, a little update on the home front, I am off to make some progress.

No comments: