Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Decisions decisions

Sometimes making the smaller decisions is harder than making the big decisions.
Now that we have sold our house we finally feel free to plan and choosing appliances is at the top of our list. We will have a bar fridge , microwave and a toaster oven on move in day for sure but we will need some harder working and larger appliances to truly function.

 How come we could choose the house in about an hour and choosing a stove can takes days and days. Normally I am a fan of the smooth top stove because of the ease of cleaning , but of course I love the look of a commercial gas range. I do have a little fear of gas but I am going to try and get over it because there is nothing like it or so I hear . But we could never afford a Viking or a Wolf , unless there was a ridiculous instant rebate , then wouldn't it be crazy to not get this top of the line stove? This is still such a tough decision, we needed to sleep on it. We measured and looked and looked and measured so so many models , from Ge to an Italian beauty and then Viking.
Did you know that the interior space of a 30"commercial range can be significantly smaller than a regular 30" stove, and that is can take 45 minutes or more to heat up a 36" stove because of the extra width now if you have kids you know that is a lot of extra time at dinner. Still Viking are you freakin serious !!! Ok it is only marginally more than a very nice GE Cafe model I had some what decided on, and I think we would be regretting not getting the one we really love. We are giving up a warming drawer but I think we can live without that . Adding a beautiful color is an extra $1000 so that is a NO. Sounds like we've made the decision, doesn't it?
We will be sure to save on all the other appliances , I don't need a fancy washer and dryer and as long as I get a tall tub stainless dishwasher I'm good it doesn't need to be high end.
 Splurge and save right , well this is really both splurge and save.
I saved here , I found this light which is normally $149.00 for $50.00 at a used building store , it is new in box and everything, I got two actually. 20 more lights to go...I have always wanted one of these lights. I think they will end up in the entry hall.
 Making over the standard cabinets is a huge save , I will be painting the cabinets and adding a frieze as well as crown moulding. I will also be customizing this fridge wall,  I love this area, I think it will look great when completed. I toyed with the painted cream cabinets that were very nice but that upgrade was more than my new stove , so that was an easy decision and as well I can go with a custom color of my choosing and I will always be able to do touch ups.

I will be adding a farm house sink just before we have stone counters installed, I found a farmhouse sink for $600.00. Instead of eliminating our standard laminate counters we had our friends choose something that they would like , there was no benefit to eliminate it, and now they can take our new counters and cut them down to their kitchen and can even have the kitchen sink. Everybody wins and we move into a house that is ready to use. I'm still working on the kitchen sink wall, I think this layout keeping the uppers to the right and open shelving to the left maybe what we need. I added lots of drawers to the kitchen , going from 4 to 10 , how exciting.
I have noticed lots of people in the blog world who have recently completed a kitchen reno have gone ahead with carrara., I was so thrilled to find out that it is well priced . I will be sure to keep up on the sealing to prevent damage because there is nothing like it , this is a definite splurge but a huge savings sourcing it ourselves. This will be my dream kitchen , I plan on living in this home for many many years so I think its a good decision to do it right once.
Saving will come with me doing everything else , like the hardwood , maybe tiling the floor spaces that need tile, definitely the back splash , all the lighting , so much painting , lots of moulding, landscaping... its gonna take years I tell ya, but that sounds fine to me, I'm a girl who needs a project.
In sad news I just found out that my dream island lights are $1250.00 each....each! Well it makes my other choice look like a bargain now , because I need two for over my island. I would not spend $2500 on two lights , not ever.

I am on the hunt for great deals , Happy Holiday's everyone.

13 comments:

Alison said...

That is going to look great! I just did carrera and I love love it! just seal it well. Porous plus is what I used and it works like a champ!

I'm excited to send the completed project. fun!

MaryBeth said...

I got the viking, double ovens and a griddle, I would never do it again. Like you said it takes forever to heat up I had a service guy here at first because I couldn't understand why nothing was cooking. Also take your roasting pans and cookie sheets to the store and just try to shove them in, they only fit one way. It is really much smaller than you think.
I bought it for the name only. I only cook twice a year and I still hate it.

Comeca Jones said...

My mom has this one and she seems to love it!

mudrick said...

Congratulations on the sale and impending move! I've been reading your blog for a few years now and love it. I have two recommendations for kitchen ranges: Sears Kenmore appliances and dual fuel. When we renovated our kitchen we converted to gas. It's my first time using it and I love it. Since you're a baker you might consider a dual fuel range since your supposed to get better baking results with an electric oven. I do think the gas oven takes longer to heat up. Both the Kenmore Pro and Elite lines have stainless models that have the professional look. I have the 36" 5 burner stainless Elite (under $2,000 US) and like it. You can get a 40" dual fuel convection version for just over $2,000 US which is a great deal and is rated highly. I didn't have space for that one but if I did I would have upgraded to duel fuel. Here's a link: http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/s_10154_12604_Kitchen_Ranges,+Ovens+&+Cooktops_Freestanding+Ranges

I'm so looking forward to seeing how your new house progresses!

Sarah Parham said...

Hey Chris!

I got a Bertazonni range - industrial look but not as much as the Viking or Wolf. BUT, if I had to do it again I would go for dual fuel. Mine is gas top and gas oven and for baking it really kind of sucks - tends to burn tender things. It's blooky awesome to look at but not really the most reliable range. Plus parts are impossible to get!

Sarah

Ms.Carson said...

I grew up with gas ranges and I wouldn't have anything else. Particularly, the stove part... the instant heat and almost total control with the flame/ heat. My gas oven freaks my mother in law out because she is only used to electric and my gas oven broils with actual flame.
I don't want to jinx it but my gas range and none of my mother's gas ranges have ever needed to be fixed or needed new parts... perhaps it was good luck or perhaps flame is less fancy and breakable...
I would get what you want... within reason... the money will be earned and spent one way or another and you will be staring at that oven a lot over the next 10-25 years...

Margo said...

I'm so excited for you and your new home! Have to add my two cents on Viking, it beautiful to look at and well insulated, I have gas burners/gas oven and I would never buy again. My husband and I were just talking this week about getting rid of it and cutting our losses (not cheap to repair). Only two burners are currently working and the other two "click" constantly, about 1 year or so after repaired burners break again. The oven takes forever to heat up and as much as I love the convection it still has hotspots. My girlfriend has Viking electric oven/gas burners and the exact same problems with burners and oven along with uneven flame on burners. Just my two cents LOL

Cynthia said...

I had a very scarey experience with our gas stove.I could smell gas from the moment it was hooked up and over the next while, got worse and worse! Ended up while being assembled at the plant they pinched off the wires and gas line to the element. So I had an open flame and gas spewing out as I was cooking and didn't know it. My husband was the one to figure it out by dissasembling it. The repair people said I was lucky it didn't blow up in my face!!! Could of happened at any time. The company was horrible to deal with.We could have been killed!!! Took weeks to get replaced and no loaner stove to boot! Huge hassel. But when we got the new stove my hubby took it apart to check it out as we were freaked out, and it was pinched in the same spot again!!! Thank God he checked! So, my point is sometimes you spend all this money and it's not worth it.Expensive to fix, bad service when you can get something cheaper. Be Careful with your choices and don't get caught up on a name brands.

Cindy

Cynthia said...

I had a very scarey experience with our gas stove.I could smell gas from the moment it was hooked up and over the next while, got worse and worse! Ended up while being assembled at the plant they pinched off the wires and gas line to the element. So I had an open flame and gas spewing out as I was cooking and didn't know it. My husband was the one to figure it out by dissasembling it. The repair people said I was lucky it didn't blow up in my face!!! Could of happened at any time. The company was horrible to deal with.We could have been killed!!! Took weeks to get replaced and no loaner stove to boot! Huge hassel. But when we got the new stove my hubby took it apart to check it out as we were freaked out, and it was pinched in the same spot again!!! Thank God he checked! So, my point is sometimes you spend all this money and it's not worth it.Expensive to fix, bad service when you can get something cheaper. Be Careful with your choices and don't get caught up on a name brands.

Cindy

laxsupermom said...

Have you considered the NXR or the Bertazzoni? The NXR is by far the best bargain in the pro range category. It's made in China, but it's parts are mostly German. The Berta comes in some fantastic colors and still costs less than a Viking or Wolf.

I've always loved cooking on gas. The instant heat adjustment is huge for sauces, lemon curd, etc. Plus you get the added bonus of being able to cook during a power outage. Always something to think about for those of us in snowbelts.

Can't wait to see your counters go in. I love the look of marble in a kitchen!

Lilibet said...

Wait! Wait! Don't get the GE Cafe. We are in the same boat (in Canada). My gas stove caught fire (long, scary story) and we are looking to replace our slide in stainless.

GE Cafe 'burnt knobs'. Google it. We had to rule it out.

Good luck!

Tery H said...

I have a six burner gas Viking stove and I LOVE it. It's beautiful and works great. I got the convention option and it bakes wonderfully. II did not get the dual fuel...gas only. I also have white carrera marble and I am so glad I did. The veining is beautiful-pick your slabs yourself so you can get the veining you want. I have not had anything stain it and I have a messy cook husband and teenagers. It is soft and the edges have chips and dings but it's character. Some chips can be sanded out if you want to. My house was built in 1915 and I wanted a modern kitchen that looked authentic to the time period it was built. We gutted to the studs and replaced everything. Go for it...I have never regretted my choices.

groovyinclinations said...

I love reading about your upcoming life shifts and changes. Congrats on your home sale! Woo hoo!! Mindy Wilson

LinkWithin

you might also like