Monday, June 13, 2011

Weekly update

I think this may be what it comes down to , a weekly update , I wish I could blog often and about new and exciting things but there is no time for blogging much these days , so I will have to do my best to post weekly. Monday's after the kids are off to school I try to catch up on some much needed cleaning , you know how it is , I am lucky to have Monday mornings for that because things have been getting a little out of hand with the pace of my life as of late.Funny fact : we have never picked or bought a BBQ grill , when we got married we were given a space saver grill for our then rental condo , then when we moved to our current home my father gave us his Weber grill which was great but I don't know if you have noticed but grills have come a long way since this Weber was purchased 15 years ago at least ....you can find a cheap as chips good looking BBQ anywhere these days , you can spend $200-$2000 whatever your budget.
I thought it would be the perfect time to buy Todd a nice new grill for Father's Day , so we started looking , there are so many to choose from ? It was a very tough decision , I decided to make sure whatever grill we got it needed a good warranty , because what would be the point spending our money on a grill that only has a one year warranty , that's no good! I think that is the sign of a low quality BBQ , because I don't want to buy a BBQ every other year , I took my time and did some research and digging.
What we settled on was a Cuisinart , yes a Cuisinart BBQ available at Canadian Tire stores , but then we kept going around in circles , I didn't have a strong opinion on which one to go with , they were good looking well priced and we wanted a side burner and they all seemed to have that too and most importantly the tank would be concealed by the closed cabinet and a 5 year warranty of course , I wanted to take advantage of the great savings offered , so we went early to purchase his new grill.
But we changed plans and went with a Kitchen Aid BBQ , it was all stainless , and was really good looking and had no plastic parts at all , has the side searing burner and a closed in back as well and is a beautiful product. It was perfect , except it came in the largest box ever and was so crazy heavy to move , but it came fully assembled which was a huge perk. Ok enough about our grill , it looks so pretty in the backyard too, and best of all I know Todd is really happy with it . We have plans to build a large BBQ deck where it will move to later , more space to move.

I don't know if it was my recipe or the grill but the burgers were extra delicious.




I have great bunkie news , we have windows...I know I had planned to use old windows but the wind blew them over and they both broke...so we started pricing windows , we started at the re-stores where you can get used building materials , but the prices were steep, we loved some windows but $400 and $600 a window seems unreasonable for our bunkie. We looked at stock windows at Home Depot , which were ho hum, and then we priced custom windows which were actually pretty reasonable , we could choose size and grills , then we had decided on a local window manufacturer Mason windows , which is where all our house windows come from , and I was just about to order them , then I learned where my Mom works they had two casement windows left over from a reno last year, I went to take a look and they were so beautiful , smaller than we wanted but I thought we could make them work with trim work, there was no 3-4 week delay or high cost and this would not hold up our build.


The grills are on the outside and inside , they just look so lovely don't they?




I was so pleased they are unpainted wood inside , which means I can paint them whatever color I want , what fun.


We framed the rough window openings and clad the front of our bunkie this weekend with chip board , it's really coming along.



Next step we frame the peaks and then the rafters go up , that should be fun huh !!! so then roof and wrapping the exterior , windows and door install , flooring , siding which is going to be shakes , and interior paneling the walls , I would love to have this closed up in time for the girls birthdays at the end of the month ...wish us luck and good weather too please. I should say how happy I am my husband is as eager to complete the bunkie as I am , we are so looking forward to having it to use and I am dying to get it to the decorating stage of course.

I completed the book cases I was working on , oh painting beadboard is so not fun.



I added bead board to the fireplace mantel as well as the back of the cabinets linking it all in style, I love how they look , so fresh and clean and Nantucket style.The paint color is Benjamin Moore cloud white.


So I'm off again to another busy crazy week , hope all is well with you and thank you for stopping by .


Chris



8 comments:

Screaming Meme said...

I am loving all the updates! :) I read through easy decorating yesterday at Lowe's...so fun to see you in there! :) I felt like I knew you in person! lol Xo, Meme

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

That you for all the exciting updates!

If you have a chance, please stop by my blog and enter my giveaway.

Happy Monday!

laxsupermom said...

Wow! What good luck to have those beautiful windows pop up for you after your old ones broke! The new grill looks terrific, too! Thanks for sharing.

Ms. Bake-it said...

Looks like the bunkie is coming right along! I love how the mantel and shelves turned out. Great job!

~ Tracy

Pine Tree Home said...

Turning out great! Why is it that beadboard is so difficult to paint. Love it. Hate it.

Keisha Lynn @ Project Campbell said...

Oh, how I wish you were closer to me down in the deep south, because my husband owns a window company and we have a bunch of mis-measured windows in the warehouse you could have looked through!!! Glad you found some though!!! It's looking GREAT!

Crystal @ Ordinary Days said...

Everything is looking GREAT! Can't wait to the progress. That grill is AWESOME!!

I'm starting a Linky party on Mondays called "Make a List Mondays". Would love it if you could join! If you miss Monday, just come on over one day during the beginning of the week. :)

Crystal

a4a8c284-3941-11e0-bd8d-000bcdcb2996 said...

Hi Chris...

I had never heard of a bunkie before until I watched Sarah Richardson..

Thanks for sharing.

Kathy :)