Sunday, April 10, 2011

Storage happiness

I decided to tackle the built in storage I had planned for the nail room / mud room , especially since I picked up the bench piece a couple of days ago for $20.00 , it was a very rough and basic pine bookcase I found on Kijiji , it fit this wall perfectly.
I will be happy to have all of this chaos contained and hidden .
I will admit things looked a little sketchy this morning , I used our old kitchen cabinet which was over the fridge before we got the new fridge I used it to bridge the two towers of storage.
Some primer , and lots of paint makes it all looks so much better. I used MDF 12"x 8' ready cut shelves to create the two towers, I had them cut down to the length I needed and had the excess cut into 17" wide shelves , having a pinner and nail gun made this project so quick and easy , even the family said "wow that was fast". Next step is to trim it all out and to make some doors to close this all up , or maybe I will try making drawers ?

I will store my magazines, sewing machine , fabrics , linens, books and even tools and paper work the middle open area will be a little reading nook for the kids , I am so glad I finally did this project , it is a great solution , how are you supposed to keep a room tidy without a spot to store everything?

13 comments:

Wendi said...

Great job, Chris. Hey, can you tell me where you got those wire wall pockets in the 2nd photo? I need some!

Samurai Shonan said...

I like your house. Looks cool.

Alyson said...

Love it.

Amanda said...

Amazing, I hope to tackle projects with zeal like you one day! xx

2littlehooligans said...

love it! i want it:)

laxsupermom said...

Wow! That looks incredible! You did a great job. Thanks for sharing.

michelle said...

It looks great! You did a wonderful job and it looks like it will hold lots!! :)

Home as Hobby said...

It looks amazing!!! Can't wait to see it all fluffed up :)

Sally Lee by the Sea said...

How wonderful - there's nothing better than being organized...it's always the getting started part that takes me a while to get around to. I look forward to seeing your finished shelves all filled up. Hope you have a great week!

1 Funky Woman said...

What a great piece, love it! How wonderful and organized your room will be. Ok where did you get those hanging baskets! I've been looking for those! Please tell?

Megan

Cynthia said...

Hey Chris! Looks great! Storage=Happiness for me too!! Just wanted to say I watched S&C online to see your home featured! Beautiful and congrats to you girl!

Cindy
xo

Style Studio said...

fabulous use of space-thanks for sharing and inspiring-love your blog!

Lorelei Potter said...

great job! love it