Saturday, February 5, 2011

I'm likin' the "lichen"

So I will start off with the most recent before , pretty but icy and I am really tired of that blue since I have had it for 8 years now and I was just in need of a change , so after a day of painting I now have a new look and there is nothing like a new look to livin' things up ...
I really hope I can find a lantern this year...

Here is the before of my dining room , this is from way back when we moved in here , notice the lack of trim , is there any trim around the door into the kitchen ? yes believe it or not there is trim there , you can see right into the kitchen , no island , I love looking back at how far the house has come

I spend the day yesterday filling holes and imperfections and sanding stripe edges to prepare for painting the dining room , front entrance and hall with the new Sarah Richardson Para paint called "lichen" which is a grey green , it is so nice and neutral I am really happy with it thankfully ...

I think it is really nice with all the white trim work and the hits of black .

At night it really looks mostly grey which is nice a cozy too .





So I have never used Para paints before , which I picked up a Lowe's for $29.00 for a gallon , what did I think ? well I am very impressed actually , it went on very well , it was a good consistency it wasn't thin or runny , I hate thin runny paint , it covered perfectly so much so that I only did one coat and it covered incredibly well , it covered over stripes , that is truly amazing...



I have big plans for the ceiling in this room , and on my wish list is a square lantern to hang over the dining room table , why are nice lantern fixtures so pricey?


Last year I got the buffet for my birthday this year I will be looking for something new for the blank dining room wall.
So there you have it my little not quite finished makeover ...so far so good , dare I ask ...do you like it ...?

35 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It's a gorgeous color! Look forward to seeing the rest of the updates!

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

Love your old chandelier!

S
xo

Restoration House said...

It looks lovely Christie. I love the colour, It's fresh and airy and goes so well with your home.
Kim:)

The Momma said...

Hmmmm.... well let me say this is my first comment, and I love, love, love your blog and your home. However, I'm gonna step out on a limb here (you dared us), and say I really, really, really loved the stripes,and **gulp** I'm not sure how much a like the green. I just don't picture it working w/ the blues. Perhaps it's my computer screen, but I really loved the dining room before. Sigh... however, I do think it looks nice, I just loved the fun and the flair of the stripes. I was astonished looking at the before-before pics, what an incredible difference!

rindercella @ neatheringourfest said...

i think it is beautiful! i love that color - the perfect blend of cooly creamy blue and a great grey. :)

The Momma said...

See now I read the comment under mine about it being blue, so I really begin to wonder if it is my computer, because the color I'm seeing is almost a sage green.... just to clarify.

thepaperroSe said...

love it! I have the 'ice blue' in my dining room, too. Still love it, but sooo want to us grey somewhere. Beautiful!! looks stunning with the black.

Beth said...

I love it with blue and I love it with lichen. My house is done with similar colors; they are very soothing. Love the before and after pics! Oh, I also think your curtains are gorgeous...all wispy and white.

LindaSonia said...

I'm a likin' the lichen too! in and of itself and I too love to see the transformation your space has undergone. Very nice indeed. Just a question, though, but does the new paint color go with that blue buffet piece?

LindaSonia said...

forgot, but I also love that swan figurine!! :)

Jamie Thompson said...

I love the color! And wow you have done so much to improve your home from the 'builder basic'! Great job!

Michelle said...

I just found your blog and am loving it! Your home is gorgeous! It is so peaceful feeling!!! I love the new color!!!

Pine Tree Home said...

It does warm it up a bit. A change, not a HUGE change, but cozies it up. While I did like the stripes, I do like the new look. It's very clean and simple, which I am all about.

Carriage House Antiques said...

Oh wow,I love it! It is so fresh and I cannot believe you got away with one coat!
You will have to paint the buffet black or white now..or buy something new and sell me the buffet...
good job!Woman's day better come back for an update too!!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Love the new color! You always inspired me to lighten up my house a bit. (I'm slowly transforming my house from reds/browns to whites/lighter shades. I always enjoy your blog posts!

Destiny said...

Very pretty color and I love those chair covers! ~Destiny

Tricia Rose said...

Like it - can't wait to see what lantern you find~

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

It looks beautiful, I just painted my living/dining a gray green color too, but it is looking more gray than maybe I wanted. I wonder if they sell that paint at the Lowes here? I'm going to have to look (;

Genevieve said...

I love, love, love this color!! It's only sold in Canada though! Boo! :)

designlove-cynthia said...

Chris, it looks really good! What a nice change!

Cindy

Rachel Noelle said...

LOVE your blog!;) Your dining room looks gorgeous! Hugs, Rachel

French Farmhouse 425

Ann said...

I love the new color...
And your old chandy looks gorgeous to me:)

Chloe and Co. said...

Very pretty! It's warmer than the blue. I'm going through that gotta change things and repaint phase... must be the cold winter.

Comeca Jones said...

Love it all!

Love of the Sea said...

Very pretty. I love all the nice little touches you have included.

Passionate for White said...

Great color choice!

Secondhandrose said...

I like the gray-ness of the paint color. I recently did something I thought I'd never do....I painted a room silver gray! I love it. Come for a visit. Make it a great week.
karen

SweDaisy said...

I love the new colour Chris. It really allows the light fixture to pop (even if you change it). I've been loving grey rooms lately. I'm thinking of redoing my master bedroom. A colour similar to this one is in the possibilities.

Take Care,
Lisa

Kim said...

perfectly beachy keen!!

me said...

love it !!!

Marie Tere said...

I like it!
Can you give me the "downlow" or direct me to a link on how/what your trim your doors with. Dimensions, etc. Also your window.
I see some changes coming too....

Thanks.

JAG said...

Love the before and afters!!! So amazing. I saw that you painted your table! What paint did you use (especially for the top)??? or is there a blog post about it?

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your new wall color is gorgeous! I love how it looks in your home.

Rory said...

I have that exact same buffet! Right now it's painted a really dark walnut with black distressing...but I love the color yours is...hmmm.

The Momma said...

K--- so not that you care, lol... but I'm the meanie who said I wasn't totally digging the change.... however, wanted to let you know it has definitely grown on me and I do love it now. I still loved the stripes( and actually may do them in our mudroom that we're redoing), but the green does look great. Just thought I eat a little crow and tell you great job.

LinkWithin

you might also like