Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Time for change

A lot of things have changed in this home over the years but nothing has changed more than my children , my how they change in the blink of an eye , all you mothers know , it really seems like one day they are babies and the next day pre-teens , challenging moments all along, many days of breaking points and joy and laughter and tears .
This picture was taken sometime in 2004 I believe, it was their Dad's first trip away from them in this house , they were wearing his t-shirts to feel him close to them , how sweet.


This picture was taken one night when the fireworks were going off , they were being so silly together , making each other laugh , I love those times most of all , these days there is more fighting between them than anything else , but when they get along there is nothing better , I know they will be great friends always , these next few years just might be a bump in the road.


Sophie as she is now
How much they have grown , and they need change in their environment too , it is boring to be living in the same old room , although of course I have made changes over the years with them at the wheel with my guidance , I really feel your room should reflect you , after all I painted my most hated wall colour, orange for this little lady but I convinced her a sherbert shade of orange was best.



Mason as she is now , growing up too fast stuck between girl and teenager
Sometimes it is hard to recognize your own children , how could my daughter be as tall as me at the age of 12 , boggles my mind .
She always wanted bunk beds and two years ago we got the single over double kind , but it turns out no one wanted to sleep in the top sleepovers would end up with multiple kids on the bottom bunk , and she was wanting a change , so today we tackled a little bit of re-arranging, like moving her triple armoire and dresser , removing the top bunk and switching most things around, it is a good thing my girl is the same size because I couldn't have done it without her , she is strong thankfully.
I turned out quite well we just need to work on the decor and organization , she wants new bedding , which she needs , I am trying to convince her PBteen is her best option and not Roxy , I like PB cotton bedding better than synthetics. We are going to Buffalo next week and I am hoping to find something great there at PBteen or Tj maxx or Home goods .



I MADE her take an extra mattress for this bed although she did not want her bed any higher it needed it . Turns out she likes it , and maybe I knew what I was talking about , I totally snuck the second mattress into place hoping she wouldn't notice and revolt. We took the top bunk and are creating a daybed for little sis , so we had an extra double mattress it worked out well.


I think it is just fine for a kids room to look like a kids room and not a show room , she loves her posters and that is just fine with me , she has a little crush on Justin Bieber , she was telling me how she likes to have a room full of stuff ,yikes, it makes her feel warm and cozy , I bet!
If it makes her happy I am fine with that .
Here is where the top bunk ended up , I have been trying to convince Sophie a daybed would be best for room as it is only 9 x 10 approx, this single bed would free up a lot of space compared to the double bed , she worried it wouldn't be enough space to sleep in a single, she went right from a crib to a double bed. but something turned and she began to accept that a daybed may be nice , so we have the twin bunk here sideways and it makes a huge difference in the space and feel of the room , I am going to alter this bed to add a back and sides with bead board to make it look very alike to a PB Teen bed Sophie likes.



Here the girls were trying out the extra space doing cartwheels and stretches , so far so good , both girls are thrilled , but they have longer lists like new bedding , and new paint colours and Mason even wants me to cover her walls with v-groove , which I would love to do when funds permit ...



So me and my aching muscles are taking a break from a whirlwind move and re-arrange day , I'm just glad they like their rooms again , there is nothing like a good old re-arrange once in a while.

17 comments:

Stephanie Glover said...

Lol looks like somebody is a Justin Beiber fan! My daughter just turned 7 and wants a poster of him for her room. I'm not ready for boys to be plastered all over her wall!!! =0)

Kim said...

well i am in tears over your post...not that it was a tear jerker...but i as well can't believe that our youngest is already 12!! Pre menopausal and preteen are not necessarily a good mix in our home but somehow we are working it out :) p.s. i cry at the drop of a hat these day...love the girls rooms!!...i need a tissue...lol

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

Sounds like you had a fun day, I have sons, and my eldest, has a "No Mom allowed" policy which he strickly inforces...;)
They do grow up SO fast, I always ask myself, what happened to my baby? I still have the snapshots and pictures of him hanging on the wall, cubby cheeks and dimples...but now I have to look up at him because he is taller than me?? It's not fair! :)

Mrs.B said...

Love this! My girl will be 12 in 3months. We are currently in the process of a room makeover too. Pink & black!

SweDaisy said...

Back breaking but so worth it. I can't wait to do fun stuff like this with Olivia. Tell Mason I vote for PBteen too :)

Take Care,
Lisa

Lori said...

So true, I rearrange a room every time I can't afford to totally remodel. Feels like you hired a decorator and sigh every time I walk in the "new" room.

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Looks so good! That had to have been a lot of work. Have a great trip! Hope you find fun things!

thewelcomehome said...

Must be something about Summer. I am in the process of updating the bedroom my 2 daughters share. I am trying to avoid painting the walls. So far we have mostly gotten rid of things they have outgrown (lego table, play kitchen). They also want new curtains, rug, sheets, lamps and more.I believe that when children like their rooms that they are more inclined to keep them clean. (fingers crossed)

designlove-cynthia said...

The rooms look great! Day beds are so sweet and do offer up more space in smaller rooms! My 12 yr old loves posters and things all over her room and I have to refrain myself from telling her I hate it.... but I just have 2 huge cork boards and let her put them on the back of her door! Not everywhere!!!! I have to look the other way sometimes. LOL

Dharma said...

love it, what a great use or re-use of the beds...bunkbeds always *sound* like a great idea, now they are the big white elephant in my house too :)

my oldest (14) helped me rearrange our living room last weekend, he's 6 foot 3", imagine how I feel all teeny next to that?

I am soooooo not allowed in his room! LOL

jo said...

I live in Buffalo, and just to let you know there are not any PB Teen stores here. There is a Pottery Barn and a very nice Pottery Barn kids store here in the Galleria, but no PBTEEN. I wish there was....

Carriage House Antiques said...

It must be the full moon,reorganize day cuz Cara and I switched three dressers today. She doesn't want a dresser at all since she got two of those Ikea hanging cubby things, and her older sister who is only home on weekends had an antique dresser which she didn't want,not enough drawers, so it went to the hallway,and she got Cara's and the one in the hallway is getting the boot! It does feel good to rearrange and it's FREE!!
Question...what did you do with Sophie's double bed????Is it up for sale??
Nat

Stephanie Glover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Glover said...

Chris, OH. MY. GOSH!! I loove your blog so much and I can't believe you commented on MY little tiny blog! And I know I sound like an idiot but when I saw your comment I felt like I had just gotten Miley's autograph!! Thank you!

ofthingspast said...

I love to rearrange my rooms in spring and fall. It makes everything seem new and fresh for the coming season. Keep up the great work!

Flourishing Networks said...

love the girls rooms - especially as I have girls. Thanks

HRH Sarah said...

Fabulous work~ I adore daybeds, especially with that gorgeous canopy and initial on the wall! I just turned our study into the "beach cottage" spare room by moving out the computer and desk and putting a twin daybed in its place. I love rearranging my house!