Thursday, May 27, 2010

Inspiration comes from way back when , well 2002 anyway

It turns out that I am a collector , this was evident when my daughter spilled a glass of water on the tray on our ottoman where I keep two piles of decorating magazines, I leap and started flinging my mags out of harms way , some of these magazine are from the early 2000's , this is the only thing I really collect actually . One much loved magazine in my collection is this 2002 Country Home magazine , the home of Kimber Wysong has been a great source of inspiration for my current home , I actually got a hold of Kimber on Facebook , and she tells me they have long moved on from this lovely home and are now living in a "Beach House" .

Now this is a window box people , and the source of inspiration for mine , which I will admit is much more meek , but mine is not nearly as ample a window box.
I have always been a fan of a Tudor and this one so light and charming is perfection. This fence sealed the deal for me , it pushed the decision for me to tackle building our current picket fence right after we moved here in 2003.
Actually after seeing this off center entry again maybe I should continue my fence and add an entrance arbour?? ok that's a blatant copy.


This is one of the first open shelving kitchens I did see , Kimber was a pioneer , and look at those gorgeous wood counters , they are cherry and the charming painted floors , her two little boys must be teenagers now , it is still as classic a home as ever , wouldn't you love to see her beach home ? I know I would too , I did ask if she would share some photos so I could share with you , I will keep trying , but I don't want to be too stalkerish ...


We are very much enjoying the early arrival of record breaking temps not since 1944 has it been this hot this early , the plants are just loving the warmth and sun , everything is blooming and sprouting in record time. I must say though I feel for the kids and teachers in school this time of year for the lack of air conditioning in the school makes for some sweltering class rooms, I dropped off a very powerful fan that was collecting dust in our basement , they surely can borrow it for the next four weeks of school , if the weather stays like this is is going to be a very long four weeks , I was up in my daughters class room this morning at 7:30 AM and it was so muggy I don't know how they could even stand it , I am glad we have the pool up for them to cool off in after school , freezies and swimming , nothing is more summery to kids.




I just had to show how my little corner of shame in my garden looks now that some time has passed , this is the sweet spot , I wish my whole garden looked this lush , I am working on it , my lovely friend has been donating her split hostas by the bucket full to me , I love a big hosta.






This photo was taken just 8 weeks ago , look how things improve over a short while , all the lovely perennials were just waiting to appear.


Everything is planted now , I went for a colorful scheme in the window box this year, I actually took a photo from a magazine of a window box I loved with me to the garden center and tried to do a scaled back version with similar plants I will add a few more plants I think , it will fill out and improve with time , I will show you the progress.

19 comments:

Sally Hamilton said...

I want to install pretty window boxes on my house but the thought of drilling through the vinyl siding just wigs me out! Plus, pre-made window boxes are very expensive - know any good resources for plans for building your own window boxes?

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I too collect magazines. I usually take out the pages I like and then put them in binders. I could never just toss a home magazine. Don't you always seems to know which issue or magazine line has that certain picture you want to take a look at again. I love to refer back to my favorites! I just posted my boy's birthday invites if you want to take a peek. Have a great day!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh every picture is just a delight. Such wonderful inspiration. I love the window boxes, and then the pretty plates on the wall and all the wonderful summer colors. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

ROSE VINE COTTAGE said...

I have always loved her home and I still have that magazine too! Love your window boxes, the colors are so pretty!
Kelly

About Us: said...

Looks fabulous. Love sweet summertime. Everything smells wonderful and is so colorful! Stay cool on your hot days. :)

the cinnamon post said...

I actually have a magazine that shows her new home...and I posted some pics on my blog of her new kitchen as it has been inspiration for me too. As was her old house! I too still have that mag. Here's the link to my blog post...
http://cinnamonpost.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-you-want-and-what-you-get.html. If you'd like to see more of her house I can send you some more pictures from the article when i get home from work. Just let me know....
~Tara

Deb said...

I still have that same issue of Country Home too!

Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

I still have that, and plenty more Country Home Magazines in my 'collection'. I was so upset that they stopped printing it! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that they will pick it up again. It was the best resource for the urban/modern country style. Farm country without being too primitive, if you know what I mean. I also liked the HGTV show they had and always tape it when they decide to re-run them!
**Tami

CoopDeVilla said...

I have that very same issue and it is in my "top 20 favorites" stack. Yes, beautiful inspiration. I'd love to see her new beach house too. Keep trying.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I adore that kitchen. Totally swooning.

And, I'm a fan of any window box. ;)

Cindy said...

That is a great house. She was on the cutting edge of design, wasn't she. I love the window box, yours looks great! I am soon to fill mine, once they are built, that is. It needs to be soon, I know. I enjoyed my little visit today.

Rambling Renovators said...

I like how you've taken those ideas and incorporated them into your own home. Your window box is so pretty.

Jojo said...

I love the lovely tudor cottage and your right, it would be so nice to see Kimberly's beach cottage!

It's so hard to give up the magazines and really some of them are real keepsakes.

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I wish they still put out this magazine. I collect my favorites too.
Blessings,
Marcia

Kirsten said...

How very neat to go through an oldie but goodie magazine spread. I have my stash of ones that I can't seem to toss into the recycle bin. I love your hostas. Very pretty pics! Gaga over the window boxes too!

WhiteWhispers2u said...

G'Day~I too have saved my Country Home Mg's they were my all time Fav's! So sad to see them go.

Glad to know it is warm somewhere other than here. Ugh! Oregon rain, rain and more rain.

It all looks fabulous.Enjoy your wkend.~Cheers Kim

Tanya said...

I'm like you and I just can't seem to get rid of my Country Home, Cottage Living, or Mary Englebreit magazines. My favorite ones anyway (which is most of them). I love your window box. It will mature and be full in no time.

lifeinredshoes said...

If folks like us got together and stacked our mags...the earth would tilt:)

Jen Kershner said...

My Country Home collection is pretty extensive too and that is also one of my favorite houses! Every couple of months I pull all of the issues I have for that time of year and reread them. It makes me happy.

LinkWithin

you might also like