Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sneak peek on the pergola

This is how you spend a successful sunny Saturday building a pergola in your back yard , you may have to try and convince your husband that all men like to tinker and putter around building things and doing the lawn , you will then later find out that your husband is not like all those other men but he hates , yes HATES that kind of stuff , wow we are sooo different , I love to improve and then move on and improve some more , I am by all definitions a DIY girl , my husband is not a DIY guy , hence all the solo effort that has lead to the home I now share with you here on the blog and we happily live in . I would be more than happy to complete all my projects solo , its tough to work with "some" people , but the fact is there are some things I can not do alone , like lugging 20 foot pieces of 2x 8's 10 feet up in the air , that is not a solo project at all . But I thought I would give you a little tease , well because its not finished , but we are one step closer to the finish line , enjoy the sneak peek , because today it is going to rain , let's hope more progress to come next weekend.
After about 5 hours cutting , sanding and staining and staining the 20 foot beams were ready to go up... I was so afraid a beam was going to fall on my head after it slipped out out of my husband grip , thankfully no such accident occurred.

Here is the fireplace back before:


After getting the beam up on the wall and the cross beams up I was able to make a dent in the shingle installations , looks like I will be heading to Lowe's for another bundle of shingles , these will be stained grey , it will look sooo nice...what do you think?


12 comments:

Stan said...

You're amazing Chris! I am constantly impressed by your "fix it" endeavours! I wish I was a DIY Guy! Lol!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I love everything you do! It makes me really want to dive in and learn how to operate all our power tools!

Jojo said...

and once those shingles are stained there will be no chance of noticing the vent. Great job and I can't wait to see how the pergola turns out. BTW, did Lowe's do the cutting on the end of the boards? If you did the decorative cuts, I am impressed 10-fold!!!

A Touch of Country said...

Ooooh...you have me intrigued.

Can't wait to see the rest of the progress. I love the texture the cedar shake shingles add to the outside of your fireplace wall which is usually boring.

Natalie

Sandra said...

Wohoo! Some pergola progress! I can't wait to see it finished. I'm sure not nearly as excited as you will be to have it finished. I know what you mean about some people being hard to work with. My hubby is not the home improvement type either. But occasionally, they have to pitch in. That's love!

Amy R. said...

The shakes look great! Your story sounds the exact same as my husband's and my story! Better to go it alone than with unwilling help right? But sometimes they have to help...

A Write Life said...

I think you're an amazing DIY gal.

{The Classy Woman} said...

You are a DIY inspiration for sure. My husband is so not into doing ANY project in the house or really outside either. I think it's great though that you can do so much on your own. I'm sure he is impressed too.

Can't wait to see the final result!

Linda said...

You are amazing!!
I feel like I suck...
~sigh~

the cinnamon post said...

Looks so amazing. I finally got my hubby working on a couple of projects too this weekend. He too isn't the go-getter like myself but once I get him going he turns into someone else. It's just that whole motivating part that I can do without!
Can't wait to see the finished pergola...
~Tara

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Lovely shingles! I can't wait to see that pergola. I would love to put one up, but our neighbors' huge trees make it pretty unnecessary. Sigh.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

WOW! you have accomplished a whole lot! glad that the piece didn't hit you! for hubby not bein into diy, he sure is getting a lot done!!