Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Design is in the details

I was able to find a beachy style light fixture for our back deck for $24.00 at Rona , I like the scale of this light much better than the before , it was cute with its gothic styling and seeded glass but it was not quite right .
Here we have the plain , ho hum square pillar that hold up the porch , we have three such pillars...nothing to write home about ...

I have always thought to paneling them , just adding some simple pieces , while at Home Depot yesterday getting stain for the fence , OH MY ACHING BACK this morning , I looked at some simple pine boards , these I was sure would be perfect to build up the posts.




What an improvement , and its not even painted yet...I am loving these little outdoor improvements , first year it was a picket fence , last year the grey shingles and window box , for this year the pergola , pillars and fireplace bumpout , I do a little each year , because for us design is in the details .

17 comments:

Sally Hamilton said...

Did you do a posting about the window box last year? If so, can you send me the link? I'd like to do two window boxes for the windows on the front of my house - one window is 5' and one is 6'. Boy, those suckers are expensive if you buy them pre-made!

Katie said...

It will look like that was how it was suppose to when you are done! Great job!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I am enjoying all your updates. The fence looks great!

Sandra said...

Always a fan of taking something plain and sprucing it up with moulding or some such treatment. Layering- not just a fashion trend.

♥Amber Filkins♥ said...

Wow, it does look great! Can't wait to see it painted.

A Touch of Country said...

lovely improvements. It's the little touches that make all the difference.

It's all in the details baby!

Thanks for the great updates.

Natalie

AK-Magnolia House said...

Spectacular updates!! And oh my, I miss Rona! I visited the store with my dad when I was last in Canada. The place is great!!
AK

julie said...

looks great! cant wait to see it all painted out! i have been wanting to do this same thing on the two pillars that seperate my kitchen and family room! however, they are a little tricky as one is taller than the other and has an angle at the top! i am hoping that this treatment will work! what do you think? thanks for any advice you have!

Destiny said...

Isn't it amazing how one little light can change the look of something! It looks great : )

The Tattered Cottage said...

You are so right...it's all in the details and yours are fabulous!!
Toni

sue said...

Chris!

Looks great.

I love to see pictures of the picket fence and window boxes. Could you post them again?

Sue

Mr. Goodwill Hunting said...

You have such a wonderful home. I remember when you first posted on RMS and how the RMSers loved your work.

Cant wait to see more.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting
http://g-w-hunting.blogspot.com

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

Wow, thatmolding looks wonderful! I love the light, too.

Tracy said...

So simple for such a huge difference. It looks great.

Hawk Eyes said...

It's all in the details and you are doing a fabulous job! I would love to see your picket fence as it is on my list for this year. We used the copper caps aswell, I love how they shine in the sunlight!

oldblackcatboo said...

Yes Please! Please! A link to your window boxes!

A Write Life said...

Great eye for detail. Perfect.

LinkWithin

you might also like