Saturday, February 27, 2010

Desk Skirt

The mess beneath the computer desk , the 15 wires , the big black hard drive , it is all ugly, I thought I would try adding a skirt just to see if it would look alright .

I picked up 2.5 meters of linen fabric from the bargain table at the fabric store , and simply stapled it underneath and voila , it is just what the doctor ordered. Perfect with the new old little bench { this was a dumpster dive item from 10 years ago } this has been a great solution for this desk area because of the tightness of the space , two kids can even sit together here now and use the computer, it's been perfect.
Oh what is that I see here ? , two copies of Flea Market Style , while I have been waiting for my mailed issues I have been trying to track others down , it took 2 weeks , but finally yesterday after talking to the girl who restocks the mag's and books for The News Group here in our area , she was happy to help me track it down , I called The News Group and they were able to tell me exactly what stores it had been invoiced to , I live in a city of 150,000 and it is only in three stores , for those locally or in Ontario I did find it at a Shoppers Drugmart , and I do know Chapters was getting 7 , that's right only 7 copies, but it is out there now , as of just yesterday in Ontario .
I gasped when I saw it sitting there front and center yesterday , what a pretty magazine , such beautiful photos it is one you NEED to get, I still can not believe I am included , it is very thrilling , page 28 .
Thanks again Linda MacDonald and Matthew and Jenny Mead for letting me play a part , it is a real thrill for me. Flea Market Style
Forever grateful,
Chris


20 comments:

NicNacManiac said...

YAY...I was just going to send you a note to tell you that I was going out in search of it today!! Thank you, now I am going to the Chapters in your area and I will pop into SDM and see if I can find a copy!! So excited for you!!
Can't wait to check it out!!
Happy Saturday and BTW...the skirt looks fabulous..as does everything that you touch!! xOxO

House of Giggles said...

What a great idea for a computer desk! I absolutely loathe the jumble of wires and ugliness that comes with a computer! This is perfect!

Thanks for sharing!

Tracey
myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com

Grace said...

I've looked in 2 Shoppers, Loblaws, 2 Chapters and so far haven't found the Flea Market Style magazine. I did ask someone at Chapters if they could order it, so maybe it will be in soon. I'm waiting impatiently.

Love your desk skirt, by the way.

northern cottage said...

this is STUNNING & I love that you stapled it! What a quick but wonderful job! Love that ottoman seat as well!

The Weathered Cottage said...

ohhh pretty! love that

Jenn said...

I want thinking about doing something like this for my craft table...Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

I've been looking everywhere for this magazine for the last week. I can't seem to find it anywhere. My hub has even been looking for me. No hope yet.. Can't wait to get my hands on one

Karena said...

Great news, and the desk area is perfect!Good work!

Karena

Jamie Thompson said...

Love the skirt! I am SO JEALUOS though, I have not been able to get my hands on the mag and went to check about ordering from them and it said SOLD OUT. :( Sad day for me. I am going to check a couple other options, I hope I can get my mitts on one!

Trish said...

How darling is that?? I just posted about my own office updates. You are so talented and your blog is such a joy to read!!! Wishing you a very happy weekend!

Tina said...

Hi Chris, your desk skirt looks fabulous, I have done the same this weekend but to my bathroom vanity. Have to do something to pretty the awful white plastic monstrosity up. Congrats to you on being in Flea Market Style, enjoy:) ~ Tina x

{The Classy Woman} said...

This is a great idea Chris! Perfect for hiding cords, my desk could probably use this since it's in our guest bedroom.

A couple months ago I was thinking about doing the same thing in our large guest bathroom. It is an older home that we have and it has a long counter with a drawer but underneath, the pipes for the sink are somewhat visible (if you are sitting on the toilet) LOL.

This would be the most budget-friendly and can always be changed out for new fabric later, etc.

Thanks for the inspiration. I LOVE the legs on your desk-beautiful!

fairmaiden said...

Oh my goodness...I love your new desk skirt. The material is a lovely coastal, safari sand color. What a great idea to hide all the 'uglies'. And I just saw one of those white trays to keep nic-nacs in at Target...It looks so cute on your desk!

All Things Southern said...

What a great way to hide all of the ugly wires. I can't wait to see the magazine!

Urban Whyte said...

Gee....if you manage to find another copy of the magazine Christine, can you mail it to me here in Edmonton?? lol I have gone to three different stores truing to find it, but no luck!! Whhhaaaa!

Lori said...

I gave you an award, hope you like it.

Elyse said...

a desk skirt. what a great idea! thank you!

xo
elyse

Melanie said...

How great for you! That is very exciting. I hope that I can find a copy. I would love to see it.

Just Beachy said...

Turns out the desk skirt didn't allow for enough air flow and the temp inside the skirt got too high, damn, it looked so much better with the skirt .

Jessica said...

That looks great!! Spacify offers wide range of Computer Desks in modern and classic designs for your office or in home.