Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Painting the bulkhead

Here is a good example of a bulhead treated all wrong , a little green racing stripe above the cabinets , painted white and a nice piece of crown added would be a small change that would make a big improvement .


Many many of us are faced with standard builder kitchens , with bulkheads , some can see this problem and rip out a kitchen and drop $40,000.00 and remodel and get a whole new kitchen , lots of us will make due and make affordable up grades to improve the over look and appeal , I am all about making more of what you've got .
Paint outdated wood cabinets , change hardware , upgrade appliances , add a beautiful backsplash , brackets , mouldings , open up cabinets for display , create a focal point with the range hood , add great lighting ,but don't forget your bulkhead.


My white painted kitchen above is a great example of making the most of standard , I don't think my kitchen gives off a standard look at all . Its the little things that make the biggest difference.


One of the things I learned early on in decorating a painted kitchen, was the deal with the bulkhead and not ignore it , it is the biggest mistake , if you ignore it regardless of the color you choose for your cabinets there will be a break between the cabinets and the ceiling , kind of like an eye brow . Look for yourself at the above before and after of my friend Lisa's kitchen , it is a small improvement with a huge result.


No need to rip out the bulk head , they most likely are hiding the mechanics of the house , I say treat them nicely , paint them in the same finish as the cabinets , add mouldings to the bulkhead , a simple piece of crown moulding or trim where the bulkhead meets the ceiling is all you need to extend the visual look of your cabinets , giving the illusion of more height .


Bulkhead is no longer a 4 letter work , heck I added bead board paneling and lots of trim to mine , I love it , go ahead and treat it right , would I steer you wrong?

16 comments:

Jenn said...

What a great blog. I found you through Amber's. Can you tell me how to add ad's to my blog account. I had never heard of that until today. That would be amazing as I am a SAHM also. Thanks and greetings, Jenn

Thirkellgirl said...

I love almost everything you ever post, honest, but I think you're wrong about painting the bulkhead the same color as the cabinets, UNLESS the cabinets and ceiling are both white. :( I really like the green walled photo and think it looks much better than the black bulkhead photo. No hard feelings, though, lol. You've inspired me to paint lots of stuff over the months. :)

Blessed Mama said...

I have seen this same trick before and you are so right! I don't have a bulkhead, but if I did, I would definitely do the same thing. Thanks for the tip :)

Deb said...

Great tips!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

It must be fate that I am right at this moment questioning our soffit/bulkhead and whether to leave it or rip it out. I'm saving our (perfectly sturdy) wood cabinets and removing the soffit would be a lot of work. I also agree that having that little bit of painted wall can look silly above cabinets, but I think soft neutral wall tones above the cabs would be fine. If I keep ours, it will be painted the cabinet white and I will use some picture frame moldings to dress them up. Great post!

Timberwolf123 said...

Love to do home improvements whenever I can. I also try to look for the easiest & cheapest solutions to the problems I walked into in the house we have. It's fun to play with color & design...thanks for sharing.

Hugs,

Bill

Karli said...

I've been stalking your blog for quite some time now and really appreciate all the design ideas you share! I just have to say, of all the ideas you've posted on this blog so far this is my FAVORITE!!! I will be doing this, no questions asked. I've been planning on redoing my kitchen cabinets this coming spring but now I'm not sure I can wait until then. Thanks so much!!!

Karli
http://www.annakarli.com

Jane said...

Great tips!

Jenn is asking good questions. Can you elaborate for all of us followers?

Cathy M~ said...

Chris,
I just want to say that you are excellent at what you do! I wish we lived closer & I would bring you coffee & you could show me how to use your power tools. My kitchen is very pretty but needs new paint. I love your ideas on the bulkhead~you have me thinking & I am starting to come out of my winter slumber & getting things checked off of my list. Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Desiree said...

Hello from a fellow Canadian! I discovered your blog last night, I was hooked for about 2 hours! You have made some beautiful changes in your home, great style! I am inspired! I am a DIY'er and love picking up new tips and projects-I'll be back to check out more!
Desiree in BC
http://shabbyserenity.blogspot.com/

Jenn said...

Thank you. Great color in the kitchen by the way! Jenn

Low Tide High Style said...

So many people have to deal with this problem. Great advice and I love the way both you and your friend handled the dreaded "bulkhead" issue with beautiful results!

Kat :)

Mel said...

Duh! (smack to the forehead), why didn't I think of this. I'm so glad you are here to set me on the right path. Thanks for this tip!

dunfordorama said...

Our neighbors have a similar kitchen as the green one you pictured...they were lucky and had nothing in thier bulkheads so they trimmed them out to make open shelving and added glass doors on some for display/storage (looks very similar to the white kitchen in your previous post actually)..

I have vaulted celings in our kitchen... so hard to fill that space above when the top space varies from 6inches to 4.5 ft!

Mel said...

I have given some thought to this and I really like it, but I face a dilemma. My U shaped kitchen has bulkhead all around, but one side has NO cabinets. How would you suggest I treat it? I thought it would look odd if I painted it the same colour as the cabinets. I'd appreciate your help on this one. Please?
you can see pictures here:
http://junkinjunky.blogspot.com/2009/09/fresher-and-brighter-kitchen.html

HeatherH said...

Chris, our bulkhead juts out by 14" and had recessed lights. Should I also treat this as part of the cabinet or paint separately like the wall color? I'd love your thoughts on this as it has perplexed me for some time on what to do with it. Thanks

LinkWithin

you might also like