Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Happy Earth Day



What do you do to pitch in ? do you make good green choices?
I think it is important to make mindfull choices , like the bottled water , we do not buy it , have your water tested , it MAY just be better than the bottled water , we had ours tested and that was the case for sure, we instead got a whole house water filtration system , and we send the kids to school with metal water bottles , NEVER a juice box , water is better , and imagine just how many boxes we save and straws wrappers etc. another plus is that they can re-fill them .
I use laundry detergent that is free of dyes and fragrances all of which are very unatural , even my stain remover is free of these extra chemicals.
I prefer to clean my toilets without the use of harsh chemicals and bleaches , I prefer vinegar and baking soda , it does a great job.
I buy all greener cleaning products .
I have stopped using swiffers , because of the cloths , I was going though one a day , I can just imagine them all in the land fill .
I love to re-purpose used furniture rather than buying new , Kijiji or Craigslist garage sales are great.
Washing clothes in COLD water , big difference.
Compact florescent bulbs are all I buy now .
Latex paint use age always.
My window cleaner is vinegar and water , it is better than Windex I swear.
I make coffee at home .
I consolidate my driving trips to cut down on emissions.
Try to bring my own cloth bags to the grocery store , this one is tough , I often forget but I am trying.
I feed my dogs high quality dog food made in Canada , it doesn't have to travel and it is made without chemicals.
Energy Star rated appliances .
I use a push mower over the gas or electric ones .
We always recycle , we have more space for recycle than for garbage .
What I can do to do better
shop at the local farmers market in the warmer months
make a dog poop composter { I am going to do this soon}

6 comments:

Saucy said...

I air dry pretty much all of our laundry (year round) except for towels and sheets. Even jeans just go into the dryer for a minute to "detangle" and then onto the drying rack. Every little bit helps.

I am also bad for forgetting my bags at the grocery store, and I have a nice collection of cloth bags in a basket at my door... but I always leave without it!

Rachel said...

Good for you!! I wish more people would do even a few of the things on your list. Funny, I JUST told my husband I wanted to get some metal water bottles and a water filter... your post is a sign for me to get moving! I've had a really hard time finding florescent bulbs that give enough light- any suggestions?

Now good luck with the poop composter, lol.

~Rachel

Brandy said...

If you don't shower, I will not brush my teeth, therefore I will def. not be able to leave the house!
wink wink!

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Thanks for the wonderful Earth Day blog! Great tips for everyone! Just wondering though.... what would you do with a dog compost? I don't think you can use it in the garden since it has meat protein in it.

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Wow, great ideas. As for the shopping bags, I keep a a cloth one that folds up quite small, in a pocket in my purse. As soon as I get home, I empty it and put it right back. The grocery ones get emptied, I put an elastic band around them, and the go right to the front door for the next person going out to put them in the SUV. Now to get hubby to use them. Happy Earth Day!

Anonymous said...

I just have a quick comment on the swiffers, I reuse the cloths--they wash well, I don't dry them. I bought a box about 5 years ago and only throw them out when they are worn out.
About the dog poop composter good idea, I'll have to google that one.