Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hide and Seek

It took about 7 hours and a shop vac, one trip to the dump and one trip to the beer store to return bottles, but we cleaned out the garage . More work will continue tomorrow.
Hubby carried out item after item shaking everything out while wearing a mask , and I vacuumed up the mess , and there was lots of mess , how many mice did we find you wonder ?, well 1 lonely dying mouse , hubby took care of it. Could it be that we got rid of most of the varmint , well lets hope so , I am being optimistic .
Apparently this is an area that often has mouse problem's , it is very hush hush . I would think an old neighbourhood would have such a problem not a brand new one.
They exist of course they do , but they are not welcome to share my loved home .
We had been wondering how did the 2 bold mice that I spotted and scared get in anyway???
We found the answer through a wide open hole in the wall , hmm wonder no more.
Hide and seek we played today, I found a seam of drywall falling off a joint in the wall , what I found was a very poorly covered hole , a hole what is this hole ?, why its a doorway , seems as though some turd when pouring our foundation left out a section for a garage to house access door , one which we did not request , since it was a $1000.00 upgrade and only encouraged me to toss garbage in our old house so we opted not to go this route again . Well at some point someone noticed and simply filled it in with a couple of studs and insulation as well as a sheet chipboard , well it was half arsed at best , leaving the gap to the right in the above photo , not wood to attached chipboard to nor any insulation .
Moron's.
So glad we decided to tear it open just to see for sure what we were dealing with . I filled it as best I could with expanding foam and screwed everything back into place.
It will cost $125.00 to buy a door for that area , which we are a little torn about , not so sure since the spot it is located it a real jam of doors already , one to the powder room and one to the basement and the next direction is three steps up.
However I am still thinking the area in the back of the garage would be best suited for a laundry room , my dream .

So how was your valentine's ? well it had to be better than ours.

7 comments:

Momovthree said...

How old is your home? My parents built their home and had a problem with mice when they first built it, the first year or two there I think. The mice were displaced when the development went up and they didn't know where to go. I felt bad for them but at the same time, I'm with you and wouldn't want them anywhere near my house. Hopefully they will all find a new place to live soon and you won't have to worry about them.

Lisa said...

OH WELL, YOU GOT THE GARAGE CLEANED OUT ANYWAY. BOY DO WE NEED TO DO THAT TOO. HOPE ALL IS SOLVED. I SO FEEL FOR YOU WITH THOSE MICE. I AM SO SCARED OF THEM. NOT MY PERSONALITY AT ALL. STRANGE HOW A LITTLE THING CAN MAKE SUCH A FOOL OUT OF ME.

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Lindenhaus said...

I had to chuckle about your mice episodes. We once had a problem too. We had just built our home in Minneapolis near a pond and marsh. A few months later in the winter, I was exercising in the basement. I turned around, and to my horror, I saw 7 or 8 mice lined up on a ledge, just observing me. I was totally FREAKED out! We brought our Westhighland terrier down to the basement, and she found every one of those mice. Westies are wonderful mousers! Then my husband took her outside to sniff around the foundation, and she found the opening for us! Yeah Lucy!

Lindenhaus said...

I had to chuckle about your mice episodes. We once had a problem too. We had just built our home in Minneapolis near a pond and marsh. A few months later in the winter, I was exercising in the basement. I turned around, and to my horror, I saw 7 or 8 mice lined up on a ledge, just observing me. I was totally FREAKED out! We brought our Westhighland terrier down to the basement, and she found every one of those mice. Westies are wonderful mousers! Then my husband took her outside to sniff around the foundation, and she found the opening for us! Yeah Lucy!

Elizabeth in Ontario said...

I commented but it must have gone to cyberspace. I'll try again.
Valentine's Days come and go but the secret to a REAL strong relationship is supporting each other through these difficult tasks and situations all year long. You guys worked together to conquer the mice problem. If you hadn't gone investigating you would not have found that shoddy worksmanship hiding behind your wall. I have heard that with newer homes the mice problem can be the cold, but also digging up ground for new home construction down the road chases them our way. Who knows. Now you know the door opening is there and you worked to fix the problem. Heat and a/c loss or a door for creatures and fumes is now solved. Great job. My sister's neighbour woke up to scratching on her bedroom ceiling and my b-i-l checked around her house in daylight and found all kinds of insulation in a flower pot. He went up on her roof and saw evidence of a racoon who had worked to get in through a probably improperly sealed roof vent thing. They called the pest guy and for a mere $700 he 'racoon' proofed her house. My sister figured she better pay the same to have hers done or the coon would just move next door to her house. The work was guaranteed and so far so good. Have a good day today. Praying for no more micey mice.

Gaston Studio said...

Mice are terrible pests for sure, and squirrels can be even worse. They seem to chew bigger holes to get where they want to go and, maybe it's my imagination, but I think they're more clever than mice and thus, more destructive.

Rue said...

Hi Chris :)

I love mice.... in a cage or in a field ;) I hope this solves your mouse problem!

I love those kitchen before and afters!! Especially the one with the hot dog sign. Tht's exactly the look I want for mine :)

I think your friend should leave them unpainted though. I know a lot of men that won't like the painted look, so it might be a problem.

Happy Birthday to your husband!

rue