Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Me myself and I

While visiting my Father over Christmas I was able to make a quick stop at my favorite fabric store , we used to live in the area where my Father now lives so it was nice to visit a familiar store that I am no so lucky to have near by where I now live. BB Bargoons , now called "in VU' , they have a beautiful selection of fabrics & I am a sucker for seersucker and stripes this is the best of both .
I saw these two fabrics and I thought of a clients daughters room , wouldn't it be perfect with classic white painted furniture , the room already has the lilac walls . I would use the floral for drapes and the stripe as a band along the bottom for detail , maybe some pom pom trim , it is so pretty great for a little girl with lots of staying power. I would pull out the green for pillows or sheets to temper the lilac . I was able to get a couple of swatches as this is quite a drive , but obviously worth it .



I have already packed up all the Christmas gear , and I am happy to say my rooms feel larger and fresher again , I fret at dusty holiday decor , I enjoy it but the clutter gets to me very quickly, or maybe its the work involved in tucking these treasures away that I dread , perhaps all of the vacuuming and lugging of boxes is why I could easily put it off , but that is not my style at all , if I can do it today and complete it , that is what must be done , chop chop.
For instance I have been waiting to make myself a real workable room , I asked my children to buy me legs for Christmas , that is all I wanted . My husband was taking the kids out and I knew he had forgotten all about them , even though I had printed out a photo for a gentle reminder , and I begged my girls like they do me , I really wanted this and only this and I knew it was an out of the way trip to Ikea that he wasn't planning on making but its Christmas and my pleading worked. Well I have had the table top in my garage for months, I have been patient. I had decided it was best considering the state of this room { the rough unfinished state} to get these stylish , adjustable , and most of all affordable at $30.00 a leg , how can I go wrong , perhaps when this room is finished I may come up with a base that has more storage , but for now this gets me a table and a workroom , I could not be more thrilled with them . Best of all the legs were on sale $19.00 each , that would make my large island height table $101.50 you can not beat that .
So of course I quickly put together my legs and have been waiting to ask my husband and my brother to kindly move this monster or a piece of wood from the garage down into my basement , now I am a sturdy woman but I helped move this baby into the garage and I know I couldn't manage this big move , I have also two little injuries as I impaled my finger with fork tines ,don't ask be careful while closing cutlery drawers! , and my wrist is in awful shape from all the driving I was doing over the holidays.
Tonight was the night and I thank them for their time .

So what do you think ? I have a great Ikea clamp lamp holding onto the joists for great lighting which I always use down there, my lovely Dash and Albert striped rug , two bar stools , it is perfect for now , I can picture it with beadboard white walls . Won't this make a great sewing space , painting space , re-upholstering space, floor planning space , it will keep my messes out of the main floor , I won't feel the pressure to get everything put away during those project steps like drying time between coats of paint.


I will have to find a project to break it in .
I was able to create a little reading spot since all of my design magazines are now down stairs to inspire me and to simply enjoy.
Momma finally has a dedicated work space , from playroom/nap room , to bare space to work room .
Can you imagine how thrilled I will be when this is a fully complete room with walls and a ceiling.

13 comments:

The Mrs said...

You make me so excited that we will have an ikea here in a few years. It will actually be just miles from my house.
I wish you lived in Denver and I had the money to hire you to do some work on our place! Well at least you can inspire me instead.

Layla said...

Great minds think alike...I've got the same table! :-)

Layla

lilibethsgarden said...

that area in the basement looks fantasic!!!! love the new set up. :o)

Brenda said...

I just started blogging a couple of weeks ago, and your blog is one of my favoirtes to follow! I love your ideas, and yes, I too can get lost for hours in a fabric store! Looking forward to great pictures/ideas and posts in the new year!

Meredith said...

Cool workspace, I love IKEA, they have so many great deals in their as-is section. Can't wait to see the finished product. Happy New Year!

Meredith

The 5 Bickies said...

That is an amazing work table! I would love to have one!

Katrina Chambers said...

Oh this is looking amazing. you are so lucky to have your own space! My new house has a designated Mummy space too and I can't wait. I am with you re the Xmas decorations - love putting them out, but can't wait to get them away and declutter.

Happy New Year too!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year

Kathy :)

Momma to Bug said...

Great work! Good idea to make your own table instead of buying an over-priced one at the store. Your new workroom looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Long time no post, are you OK :-)
Tracy

kcurry said...

I just found your blog a few days ago and I love, love, love your style! Where did you get the schoolhouse pendants in your kitchen? Thanks!

Chris said...

Kcurry ,
Those are from Home depot , $50 each

The Steel Magnolia House said...

Love the desk with sawhorse legs. Did you make that yourself? Where did you get it? Love it!