Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Re-thinking leads to re-designing.

Looky here I have a new blue coffee table, I have been admiring a blue round table at Homesense, it is $149.00 what a bargain , but I have a round coffee table so I couldn't buy it , right? that would be wrong , perhaps I could sell my existing one and buy the new one, no that is just silly, after all I already have a surplus with one extra coffee table taking up space in the basement. The other table did have quite a nice detail in the leg , it is hard to describe so I won't even try .
This Ikea table is my table , it was our kitchen table from about 7 years ago then like many other unused things it ended up in the basement , until I though it would make a great outdoor coffee table and it did , then when we put in the dark floors it came in was painted cream and was waiting for me to make a slip cover for it to become a big round ottoman like the photo of the blue velvet one, well that never happened , but after seeing the photos of the last post I was inspired to go ahead and paint it blue , I have enough shades just laying around so why not? I was very much in love with those colorful spaces.

Since this is a child friendly house , and because I like it , I distressed the table ,you can see the wood , the white the cream , I love that.



This is a bit of a backwards post sorry for that , but this is my top coat of choice , a couple of coats of clear wax, stinks up a storm but I really like it , three coats of this miss tint cheap paint , this was one of those free makeovers.

Here is the before , it was needing a new coat of cream at least , I am so pleased I tried the blue it looks so fresh and happy, I wish it was so easy to give my settee a fresh look, but I do believe I found a lady who will create slipcover magic for me ,I just have to decide on a fabric that doesn't cost the earth.


So if you need a new coffee table start looking at dining tables it is not hard to cut down the legs, also because I do find that many coffee tables out there are simply too small , they seem to be made for condos, there is nothing worse than not enough coffee table, it should be at least big enough for a large pizza and all the fixings . So go one take a look at your coffee table or lack there of , its time to think outside the box and have an open mind.




15 comments:

For the Love of Cottage said...

Hi Chris,
I love it, the shade of blue is perfect. It is hard to justify buying new when we do have something we can create one with and it also makes us feel better about the whole things. I LOVE IT! Hey, that store that you showed above Cottage Chic. I actually visited the one in N.C. this past spring. It was indeed dreamy. I fell in love with the robins egg blue refrigerator. Keep creating.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)
P.S. Is HomeSense Canada's version of our HomeGoods??

Kate's Cottage said...

I read your blog all the time and have found so much inspiration. I sew my own slipcovers and wanted to tell you that I find fabric at www.barnfabriccenter.com and www.fabricguru.com for really good prices. I got Waverly fabric at the barnfabriccenter website for $4.99 a yard. He has a special going right now for $5.99 per yard for any online orders. Good luck with your search.

ROXY said...

Hey Chris, Great Color!! I was wondering what is the best type of paint to use in terms of durability. I would like to paint my dining room table but want to make sure I choose the right finish. Also, do I need to do any prep work up front?

Thanks Chris!

PS Love the new blog layout

ROXY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerusalem said...

I have a big ol round blue coffee table - I got it from a dr's office that was re-decorating. It was the kids table in the waiting room. I just took off the leg extensions and gave it a thorough painting over. Looking at your photo's has inspired me! I think for fall I want to make s loose slipcover to go over it with a small ruffle trim at the bottom and no padding...hmmm, guess I know what I am asking my mother for my birthday! Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Momma to Bug said...

Very nice! I love your ideas and admire that you just jump right in and do it. The ottoman idea was a good one but I like the distressed, beach blue much better!

Question for you...any suggestions on how to get bloggers to look at my blog? I posted a master bedroom makeover and need suggestions to decorate it but nobody has viewed it. Any ideas? Thanks! Here is the link:

http://mommatobug.blogspot.com/2008/08/master-bedroom-makeover-suggestions.html

Cameo said...

I love this idea. I was admiring a round coffee table in pottery barn last spring. This is such a manageable solution. Thanks for the inspiration. I can't wait to browse through your blog.

Chris said...

I love round tables, and you're right, they're hard to find. I am trying to find a round end table, and everything is rectangular! What a great idea to just cut the legs down. Now I'm off to search some mroe!!

ROXY said...

Thanks for the painting tips...I will be sure to let you know how it turns out. I appreciate your comments and thanks for visiting:)

Deb said...

Love the way it turned out. Great job. I wish I could use that color in my house, but it just wouldn't go. I would have to redo everything and my hubby would have a cow.

DeDe Ray said...

Great idea. When my daughter was born 7 years ago, we had a glass coffee table. The the toddler days appeared, I was tired of cleaning it but couldn't find a round coffee table that didn't cost a fortune! Finally found a children's table at Target in the perfect color for me back then (I say deep red, but more like burgandy...I know)Since it was meant for older kids, we just cut about an inch off the legs and used it as our coffee table. Went back and bought the matching chairs and it lasted many years as our coffee table and my daughter and friends just pulled right up to it to color w/ their chairs. Now my mom has it in her play room! Everyone thought I was crazy at first, but then they loved it.

kathi said...

Beautiful make-over! Love the color!
I've never tried paste wax but it looks lovely!
I snoop at Cottage Chic's website too. Love the colors and their art is amazing!

Brenda said...

I learn so many wonderful thrifty ideas from bloggers like you. This is great! And I also loved the view of your living room. What a fun, colorful place to enjoy with your children! I think I'm in love with that view of your room. And your new coffee table as well!
Brenda

JOYfilled Family said...

I have a similar style Ikea desk. I removed the hutch and was using it has a work table. I've been thinking about cutting the legs down to make it a kid's school table and once they out grow it I could repurpose it as a coffee table.

Thanks for the inspiration. Now I just have to enlist my carpenter dad and decide on a color. My DH has been wanting a red piece of furniture.

BB said...

I have felt the same way about a coffee table .. and so I cut down a pub height table.. it was a quick fun project.

maybe this is a link to a picture..??
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Gyuh-SMCrEk/TB1KEiKTDfI/AAAAAAAAAO8/5zovqvcySa4/s1600/100_2665.JPG